Chapter 8: A View Towards Further Adventures

Draxia stood at the drawbridge while she waited for the portcullis to be raised. She stood as one figure alone, and no one else waited with her. Although she wore her golden tiara and the same regal outfit with which she started her visit to Camelhot, her demeanour was distinctly less imperious. The travel bag she carried in her right hand seemed weighed down by the burdens of failure and fraud. She now faced the road home with far less certainty of what awaited her there.

"Princess Draxia! Princess Draxia! Wait!" came a oddly soothing voice from behind her. She knew it in an instant.

"Flicker?!" she said, surprised to see him.

He walked up to her.

"I...I'm glad I caught you before you left." he said with a smile.

Draxia smiled mutedly. "I didn't really think.....I didn't think I'd ever see you again....that is...I didn't think you'd want to see me ever again." she said and then paused for a moment. Her face then seemed to lose all composure, and tears began to stream down her face. "Oh, Flicker....I'm so terribly sorry for the way I treated you....I knew it was wrong....but.....I just....I just felt that I needed you so!" she said, sniffling a little in between comments.

Flicker produced a handkerchief from his back armour pocket and handed it to Draxia. "It was wrong, Draxia, but....I think I do understand." he added, patting her on the back.

"You....you do?" she said, surprised to hear this.

"Put it this way, I know how caring about someone can make you feel...and it can be a remarkable tool for good...just, in your case, I think you let it get the better of you." Flicker said insightfully.

Draxia nodded in agreement. "Flicker.." she sniffled a little and continued. "you are a true gem...and you're absolutely right. I did let myself get carried away, and in doing so, I almost totally jeopardised any chance of a friendship with you...but, thankfully, you are understanding beyond words!" she paused a moment, thinking of something. "If only I had just sulked and cried it out of my system that night and hadn't listened to that librarian of yours. I ask you, Flicker, how can a dragon of books and learning be so very wrong in his advice?" she added.

"Librarian? You mean, Phenton Smyth? What's he got to do with this?" Flicker questioned, seeming a little alarmed.

Draxia nodded. "You'd think a dragon who works all day distributing knowledge would know better." she said.

Flicker looked puzzled. "You mean, he advised you to frame me?!"

"Well...no...not in so many words....but he implied that I was right in my assertion of having the stronger claim to you...he encouraged me...well...to fight for you." Draxia said, still sobbing slightly.

Flicker cupped his chin in contemplation. "He did, did he? I think I'll have to have a little chat with him about that later. It's most inappropriate for him to be giving you advice...and especially that kind." he said with some annoyance.

Draxia nodded. "But still....I know the ultimate fault lies with me, and I must atone for it. I do intend to, you know, Flicker. I really do! Even if I'm no longer a Princess when I get back home...I will work hard to rebuild my reputation, and my friendships with both you and Princess Flame."

Flicker smiled. "Any dragoness who truly means that..." he paused to extend his hand in friendship and continued. "...is, and shall be, a friend of mine."

Draxia returned a smile and reached out to shake Flicker's hand.

"Thank you, Flicker, that means much more to me than you'll ever know." she replied.