--Ch. 6--

“At least I saved you! Did you think of that, kid?”

I groaned. He’s a smart ass, too? Great. Freakin’ wonderful. Because this is what I need. An egotistical, arrogant ass. I wanted so bad to punch him for no apparent reason.

Journey’s gonna be worried sick If I just leave her at this party! “Wait! My friend is still in there!”

“Lie. Make something up. Haven’t you done that before?”

Scowling, I yanked my arms from him. He didn’t have to be an ass to me. Sure, he can be if he wants to, since I owe him for getting me out of there, but did he have to be one?

“Who are you?”

“A friend.”

“I’m being serious.”

“So am I.”

“Tell me who you are or I’ll waltz right back in that party, sir.” I turned to the house again, raising my eyebrows challengingly.

Mystery man raised an eyebrow back, daring me to. So I did.

Bolting towards the party as fast as I could, I started having second thoughts. This man, whoever he was, felt safe. Like the father I wanted again.

But before I could turn and tell him I lied or anything,  he was dragging me the same way, out towards the cars. Instead of fighting or flailing, I let him. I didn’t really want to go back in there, anyway.

“Don’t try it again, Seraphina.”

I totally love this about a guy. (Note the sarcasm, kids.) Dark, brooding, stalking, and just all in all creepy. He’ll barely even say more than two words to me.

But he’s hot. And, I hate to say it, but I actually do like him. I won’t say it out loud, but I do. He won’t know, but I will.  

“Please tell me who you are.” I pleaded as we wove between the many cars.

“Later, if I feel like it.”

Oh, great. Maybe I can annoy him until he tells me? That works with Journey…

“My name’s Seraphina.”

“I know.”

“What’s yours?”

“God, I already said I won’t tell you!”

“Why not?”

He didn’t answer, but instead threw me into the passenger seat and stared at me with his grey eyes. His black hair was slicked up and a single hair fell over his forehead. I was tempted to move it, but I fought the urge away.

“My name is unimportant to you, Hollins. If you listen to me, you’ll be making enough to fuel your mother’s addiction and to pay the bills by yourself. If you don’t, say goodbye to all your nice things.”

“I don’t have nice things.” I said icily. “My mom’s selfish, obviously you don’t know her. I have the bare minimum of what I need. If you want to protect me, you could at least know me.”

Before I turned away I saw his features change into surprise. I can be nasty sometimes, mystery dude. I just wish he would tell me something.

“And if you want to be nice, you can start by telling me your name.”

“If I tell you, will you never mention it to anyone, including your mother?” He said, sighing.

I faced him again and nodded.

“My name is Emmett. I’m protecting you as well as giving you employment, if you listen to me. Is that good, or do you want more?”

“How do you know me?”