Chapter 4

"I don't understand women," Liam said to no one in particular, before taking a sip of Ophelia's poison of choice – which just happened to be iced dirty chai soy latte. "I only drink this rubbish because of her."

Liam had sent another text to her for a coffee date and, just like yesterday, she'd blown him off. When he went to her house, he'd found that she wasn't there. His calls to her phone remained unanswered and now, Liam was left feeling like a complete stalker, drowning his sorrows in his girlfriend's coffee of choice.

In the emptiness of the café, Marcus Jeffries sat at the table with him, nursing his own cup, albeit black. "They wouldn't be called women if they were easy to understand, sir."

"What do you know about women, Marcus?" Liam held his hand up, realizing in hindsight how barbed the question sounded. "What I mean is, you've never mentioned a girl in your life. Not even a one-night stand."

Marcus eyed the prince. "I've never mentioned anything about my bowel movements, but I still have them." He took a sip of his coffee. "Sir," he added as he put the cup down.

Liam grinned. "Touché."

He actually did want to know about Marcus' love life. Marcus had been his friend and bodyguard for six years now and, despite how much time they spent together, Liam felt that he knew nothing about the handsome man. And Marcus was handsome, Liam admitted to himself, studying his bodyguard critically.

With his baby-faced looks, thick curly black hair and fondness for impeccable black suits, Marcus should have been every bit the playboy Liam had been before Ophelia. Not to mention the fact that Marcus was witty without trying and could give good advice over bad beer.

"I've just had a brilliant idea, Marcus," Liam said, taking another drink of his latte. "Hear me out before you argue."

"I wasn't going to argue, sir," Marcus said good-naturedly, lifting his cup of coffee to his lips.

"Good. How about you ask Gemma out?"

Marcus had just taken a swig of his drink and, at the inflection of Liam's words, the liquid ended up being sprayed across the table. Fortunately, it was lukewarm and Liam was in a good mood. Laughing, he allowed Marcus to hurriedly hand him paper towels to wipe his face.

"Apologies, sir," Marcus managed to choke out, adjusting his tie. "You just...took me by surprise."

"It's okay. I don't blame you." Liam let out a sigh. "It's just that I think maybe Ophelia found out about Gemma's latest intrusion into my bedroom and that's why she's giving me the silent treatment."

"So you're trying to fob her off onto me?"

"Well, when you put it like that..."

"Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"Always."

"You're an idiot," Marcus declared. "I think the fact that you've been with Ophelia exclusively should make her secure that you want her and only her, shouldn't it, sir?"

Liam winced. "I don't know."

"You're about to be king. These last few couple of days have been your only bit of free time since the King's attack," Marcus reminded him. "A girl like Ophelia might be feeling overwhelmed by what's to come. How can she compete with the crown when you haven't told her what'll become of you and her once it's on your head?"

Liam drew his bottom lip into his mouth, feeling like the idiot Marcus said he was. He jumped to his feet, pushing his chair back, and Marcus followed suit.