Chapter 15: TGIF

Okay so I'm officially back in my school-routine.  I drive the boys to school, we go about our day in classes, eat lunch with the same people at the same table every day, hang out during 6th period with Britt and Ben, cheer practice, drive Matt home, homework, eat, sleep, Repeat. 

It is now Friday, in my opinion the best day of the week, and here I find myself once again driving home with Matt in the passenger seat.

Please don't get me wrong here.  I'm not by any means insinuating that this week went by smoothly.  In fact, it was the exact opposite.

I sighed, "Well, I guess I should've seen that coming..."

Matt scoffed next to me and softly mumbled, "Tell me about it" with a mixture of sarcasm and bitter humor in his voice.

You see, Tuesday afternoon was when things started getting ugly.

"READY? OKAY!

You're solid!

On track!

Burke Warriors, FIGHT BACK!

WHOOO, YEAAAH!"

We cheered with our pom poms up while our flyer was hurled into the air.

"Alright folks, five minute water and stretch break"

As I walk over to the sidelines I can't help but glance over at the football players.  I mean, Dylan is a stud in his uniform...if you ignore the stench of sweat and dirt.

I start watching them do their '25, 43, 22 hut hut' thing, and then see the whole team break up and run in different directions.  It's times like these when knowing a little something about football would be beneficial.

I start to watch the boys, trying to analyze what's going on in hopes to finally understand what I'm cheering about.

I see a tall, built guy with 'Johnson 13' written on his jersey whip the ball across the field and then start charging full force in the direction he threw it.

A guy on the other side of the field catches the ball and turns around to start running, only to be bulldozed down by none other than my boyfriend and two other 250lb boys.

Yeah, football is confusing.

As I'm turning around to go sit down and stretch I hear the football coach's whistle blow and some shouting ensues.

"What the hell man!"

"Johnson you dumbass why'd you sack McClure"

huh? my ears perked up at that.

"Dylan Johnson just in case you've forgotten, you're on OFFENSE.  McClure is on the SAME TEAM AS YOU!  You don't tackle your own teammate!  Leave that to defense got it!"

"Sure thing coach" Dylan replied in an all too enthusiastic voice.  Lord help these boys.

So basically Dylan and his football minions took their rage out on Matt at football practice every day since then.  Granted Dylan didn't do any of the actual tackling, shoving, or body slamming, but he definitely got a kick out of his friends torturing Matt.

Today was the worst though.  One of the guys--I think it may have been Kyle--knocked Matt down so hard that his helmet actually flew off his head, creating what was apparently an excellent head-butting opportunity.  Thus, the black and blue bruise forming around his jawbone.