Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Cato's POV

Cleo's loud voice fills my ears as she prattles endlessly with Caesar's team about the interview, “her tributes”, and “their prospects”. Brutus and Enobaria stand off to the side, engaged in a private conversation. At my side, Clove fidgets anxiously, our intertwined hands the only thing that keeps her from escaping to the privacy of her room.

Finally, the last of the Capitol entourage traipses out the apartment door, and I release my grip on Clove's hand. Striding as swiftly as she can manage without breaking into a run, she makes her way to her bedroom. I do the same, though a little less hastily.

I suppose we're supposed to use this time to prepare for the journey back, but there isn't much to do, honestly. Since everything is provided for us by the Capitol, I have only one pair of clothes and the golden chain I wear around my neck to call my own. Everything else stays here – aside from the one outfit I'll wear for our appearance back home. Throwing on the clothes I arrived in as a sign of slight defiance, I shove the Capitol ones into a laundry bag and toss it beside me on the bed. Of course, I'll have to change before we arrive back in District 2. But that's still a train ride away, and I may as well be comfortable until then.

Staring at the blank wall, I think back on the interview. The answers given, the words used, the physical contact between the two victors, all seemed fine. I can't think of a single thing that went wrong – but does that mean everything went well? Looking back, I know there are things we probably could have done better. The one question that keeps hovering in my mind is was it enough? Or will I wake up one morning and find Clove missing?

The sound of raised voices draws me away from my thoughts and back to the present. Slinging the drawstring bag over my shoulder, I venture out from my private chambers. Across the apartment, I see the back of Enobaria's golden head as she stands in the doorway of Clove's room. Whatever it is that she's said, it's upset Clove, whom I get glimpses of as she paces back and forth in her room, shouting profanely at her mentor. Knowing I shouldn't get involved, but choosing to do so anyway, I drop the bag and stride swiftly through the apartment, rapidly closing the distance between me and the shouting match.

“I didn't ask for this, you know!” Clove is hissing loudly as I approach. “If he hadn't decided to pull his little hero stunt, you wouldn't have this mess.”

I see Enobaria's shoulders tense even more before she responds. “It's not my mess. I don't have to give a damn. Everything I'm doing, I'm doing for you, you little bitch,” she snarls. “But if you don't want my help, fine; get yourself killed. I'm through with you.” With that, she turns on her heel and marches away as Clove lets out an angry shriek.

Now that her mentor isn't blocking my view, Clove's face is perfectly visible – as are the tears streaming down her face. “Clove,” I implore, confused, moving to enter her room.

“No,” she protests fiercely, attempting to slam the door in my face.

I stick my foot inside the door just in time and force my way in, while Clove screams profanity at me and tries to push me back out. Once I'm in, I shut the door behind me and lock it. “Clove,” I insist more firmly, demanding her attention. “You need t-”

Her palm coming violently against my face cuts me off. “Shut up,” she hisses, her eyes flashing. “Just shut the hell up. You think you're doing me some kind of favor? You think that stupid promise you made to my father was so fantastic? You think you're some kind of hero? Well guess what Ca-” She screams in surprise as I grab her roughly by the shoulders and slam her against the wall. Her eyes widen in fear as I glare her into silence. This wasn't what I had in mind, but her ranting has given me no choice – not to mention that her sudden attitude change towards me is completely infuriating.