Chapter 5

First and second period had been normal and boring as usual. I had slipped my book underneath the table and read the whole time as they introduced the class rules. I would ask someone later about the whole thing. Besides, when I read, it is a state between listening to outside noises and visualizing the book. Sometimes I zoned out what the teacher was saying, but usually I could pretty well hear everything. Third period was pretty much the same, except for the fact that we would be starting a project first thing tomorrow. And it would be a partnering project. I obviously wasn't too happy about that. Fourth period was lunch, and I had no choice but to sit by Darren; which wasn't too bad. But the girls at the table next to us kept looking over their shoulders at us; some of them were snickering, and others were giving jealous looks. I would understand that, because Darren was very good-looking and easygoing. And he wasn't annoying half of the time either. But if the girls at the other table were mistaking us as boyfriend and girlfriend, then they were most definitely wrong. After lunch, some of the girls had pulled Darren off to the side, asking some very obvious questions without a hint of secrecy. I just rolled my eyes and walked off. Darren caught up with me a few seconds later.
"What were they wanting to know?" I asked with a smirk written across my face. He went bright pink.
"Something stupid. I don't even know. I just told them I had to leave,"
He shrugged. I laughed and waved at him before heading to class. I finished out the rest of the day by reading in class and in between classes. My parents had come to pick me and Darren up and explained that they had offered to do that for his family since we lived so close together. My mom had a meeting to go to, and my dad was going to work, so after some arrangements I was to be dropped off at Darren's house with him. He gave me a tour and after a while, decided to show me his backyard. He warned me that it wasn't quite as "impressive" as my backyard, but I found that to be faulty as soon as I saw it. Animals of every kind lived there and a clear, reflective lake surrounded the area. Flowers and exotic plants grew in random, sporadic places and grew in huge clumps. The animals wouldn't be afraid of getting close, and Darren even fed a couple of squirrels. It was just as beautiful as my backyard, if not; better. So of course we jumped right into the lake and had a good time splashing each other.
Later that day, Darren and I sat panting beside the lake. I looked at the huge flowers on the bush beside me. They were white and almost pearlescent, with the tiniest highlight of pink on the tips. I looked back at Darren. His shoulders were tense, and his huge brown eyes were pondering. He looked almost sad.
"Is something bothering you?" I asked without thinking.
He snapped back to reality.
"No," he shook his head and the tension in his shoulders released. His eyes were forcefully upturned as if trying to convince me so.
Not wanting to push it, I simply nodded. After a few seconds, he opened his mouth, and I looked at him, hopeful that he would say what was on his mind. But then he closed his mouth and chewed on his top lip; eyes focused on the river.
My parents came to pick me up later that afternoon and I ate a small sandwich for supper before heading straight for my room. Darren's actions had confused me tonight. I would have to look at him more closely. Something was going on in his mind that was causing him pain, and someday he would spill to me. I would have to be ready for that day.