A lonely Night

It was cold.

Dark.

I could hear them in the distance. I couldn't run anymore. My breathing was ragged. Dirt filled tears streaked my cheeks. I was running fast, but with a limp. My ankle was twisted at an odd angle but I kept going. My lungs burned in protest as the wind bit into my skin, resisting my force. I could still hear them. Their screams of rage.

A blow to my back knocked me to the ground. I had laid there breathless. Every few second I would suck in an uneven short, gaspy breath. It felt like hours but had to of only been a minute or two. I couldn't breathe and my vison was blurry with sparkles dancing across my eyes. I regained a bit of composure and jumped up as fast and smooth as my body would allow. I reached for my gun in it's holster and propped it up infront of me. They were all around me. I spun around and around looking for an opening or opportunity, with no such luck. Their yellow and black eyes were staring at me fiercely, a look I remember so vividly. A look of cold, black hatred. A demon from Hell, one of God's unwanted and damned. Their teeth were bared, challenging, wanting nothing more than to tear me apart, limb from limb. I fought creatures before but nothing like these disgraces.

A growl ripped through one of their thoats as it jumps at me. I wasn't quick enough when I hit him because his outstreched claw had tore across my face. I flipped around and had shot him again in the neck. I remember I felt wet, hot liquid dripping down my face and neck. My adreniline was pumping but I still felt a bit of the sting. Mostly pressure, though.

Another had jumped up craving it's turn. I quickly shot it with a flick of my wrist. Again I felt long jagged nails dig into my shoulders and knew he was on my back. I immediatly felt the burn of his venomous saliva as his jagged canines sunk deep into the flesh of my shoulder. I felt ligaments tear as I swiftly stuck the gun at the base of my back, barrel pointed up, tipped my head down and pulled the trigger. I heard the muffled blast and a strangled cry.

Only two bullets left, I had thought to myself. I have three more to shoot, though. I mentally cursed myself for not bringing more bullets. Although, I didn't think this is how I would spend my night out camping with my brother. I felt a new painful sensation in my head and heart as I thought of him. He was gone because of them. I would get my sweet, sweet, revenge though, I remember thinking to mysef.

They were blood thirsty but in that moment... so was I. I held then gun down next to my side contemplating my next move, finger on the trigger.

I slid my thumb over and cocked it... In a flash I had swung my arm around and pulled the trigger. With skill only I could have learned from my father the bullet curved and sliced between both skulls.

I looked at the last monster. I should've given him some credit. I had just killed all of his buddies but he still had a fire in his eyes saying he wasn't giving up. It was cute. Pathetic, but cute.

He lunged at me and I pulled the trigger. The very last bullet tumbled and turned down the gun's chamber and sailed through the air until finally coming to a stop. It's final resting place, right between his eyes.

My whole body shook with rage as I stood and dropped my gun. I tasted blood in my mouth. The taste of old pennies. I then reached up with my hand and touched my face. I looked at my hand as the crimson liquid slid down my fingers. Sadness, greif, anger, pain. It all had hit me like a tsunami. I could barely stand but I remember that I just kept going. My eyes burned and my throat was thick. I held back because I knew crying wouldn't bring Matt back. As I had walked down into the open, barren land, I couldn't help but let that single tear slip.

I was in sheer mental and physical pain, through and through. The wounds on my head and cheek had stopped bleeding but dried blood and dirt stained my face and hair. The four long scratches on my back burned with a pain I'd never known, still I kept walking into the nothingness, hoping to find something.

It's over, I had thought. It was short lived when I realized that past the trees and hills there was nothing but more trees and mountainous hills. I hadn't seen any sign of civilization. It's not over yet, I concluded. My feet kept making the same movments, treading along. I left behind footprints that would soon be erased by the wind and leaves. I didn't look back, not even once. For that night was a lonely night.