Epilogue

A young girl, 15 or 16, trots into the warm-up ring.  Her horse, a lovely little grey arab type pony, responded to every light movement in the girls feet.  As she walks in, all eyes turn to her, people stopped bending their ponies to look at her.  But why her?  Well, this is the girl Australian state Sporting event.  She was competition, major competition.  She was the one to beat.  Despite their lethal stares, she manages a smile and a small 'hey'.  They push their snooty noses into the air and kicked up their ponies.  "Number 27, Number 27, your up" the loudspeaker blares.   The girl pauses her grey gelding and turns for the exit.  Despite their stares, she wore a brave face. 

Riding into the arena, she felt free, alone, with no one except her pony and herself.  Her smile welded into a cheery game face.  She wanted to win.   "Can She done it folks?  Lets wait and  see her time......"
"3" She lined her horse up on the line, "2" The pony was jig-jogging on the spot, "1" she prepared to go, because to win, she needed to go, and go fast at that.  "GO!". And she was off.  Within 3 seconds, she was halfway up the line of poles.  Her pony perfectly curving around each and every pole.  The crowd, wide eyed and gaping mouths, held their breath as the ponies feet dug into the ground to power around the final peg.  Their was something special about this girl.  She wasn't belting her horse to go faster, they were one.  Despite their stares, she stayed focused.  She crossed the line and they skidded to a stop.  After many pats to her horse, they left the arena, exhausted.  After what seemed like years but was only as second, "AND SHE'S DONE IT!  ESTHER SMITH HAS WON THE GRAND NATIONAL!"