Chapter 3: A Rude Awakening

I rolled out of bed still groggy from sleep, pulling the hair from my face as I walked to the ladder that led downstairs before dropping down and making my way to the front door. The knocks continued the entire time I took walking to the door. Pausing to stretch my arms out before reaching to twist the key in the door, hearing the deadbolt slide out of its sheath holding the door shut.

As the door swung open on its hinges I saw who stood before me, another new recruit for me to take with me on missions out of Alden. He stood straight and tall, almost a head above me with short hair the colour of straw, that was thrown messily into a pile on his head. His eyes were light blue, a stark difference from the white skin that was stretched across his sharp jawline.

"Kaitlyn? The council sent me, my name is Aron, but you can call me Ashe." He said, his voice clearly portraying his fear of who he was going to be placed with. "I'm supposed to be your new partner."

"Yeah, that's me," I said, stepping to the side to let him in. "Throw your stuff over there" I continued, nodding to the small empty shelf on the right side of the door. "You'll show up here at daybreak, and I expect you to be ready for a day of work," I finished waiting for him to answer.

"Alright," he said as he shuffled past me to arrange his belongings on the shelf. He pulled an assortment of Arrows and Blades from his bag and arranged them into an organized pile.

While he was busy with his stuff I walked over to the far wall, near the trunk of the tree that supported the building. I slid my hand over the rough gnarled bark that made up the surface of the tree and let my fingers glide over each crevice and dip in its surface until I found what I was looking for. There was a small indent about the size of a ring that was barely noticeable on the barks surface. Sliding my finger into the hole as far as it could go I hooked my finger and pulled, A drawer the size of a small book came out with it, revealing a small collection of things. The drawer was built out of nothing more than a simple frame of rough wood that matched the color of the log perfectly. After pulling it out all of the way I slid my finger out of the hole and reached into the drawer, sliding the silver and gold coins out of the way to reach a small brass key.

The key was small, with a thick ring around one side and the key on the other. I slid the key into the pocket on the side of my leather pants while shutting the drawer again, leaving it to hide its contents yet again.

"You'll be staying down below," I started, gesturing to the ground with my hand. "There's a room with a bed below the platform were on, go out and behind the house and climb the ladder down. the trapdoor will be locked so here's the key." I finished; tossing him the key from my pocket.

With a slight nod he pulled the last arrow head out of his bag and tossed into the basket that contained the rest of them, before sliding the strap of his arm back through the thick leather strap on his bag and making his way to the door. 

**THIS IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS THAT I HAVE DECIDE TO POST TO SEE WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. I HOPE FOR MORE TO COME OF IT AND HOPE THAT YOU ALL LIKE IT! DON'T FORGET TO LIKE COMMENT AND SHARE!**