Helmut Meets Penny

Helmut Sherr arrived in Canada in 1967 after spending several years traveling Europe. A ship carrying three hundred immigrant passengers boarded in Montreal, and although he loved the ambiance of the growing metropolis, he had dreamed of living close to Niagara Falls. The natural beauty of the honeymoon capital enticed him.  A week after arriving, he bought a train ticket to Toronto and boarded a bus to his final destination. He found odd jobs immediately as the Niagara region was booming. Tourism for Canada's one-hundredth birthday meant more money into everyone's coffers,  especially for any business next to the Falls.

As if fated, he met an elderly German named Hanson, in a local diner, who was thrilled to speak in his native language. Hanson offered Helmut a job in his vineyard and in no time the smell of the vines and the sheer beauty of harvest time seeped into his blood. Five years later, Hanson surprised him with an offer to buy the vineyards and Helmut, along with his new friend Nick Poulos, jumped at the opportunity. He was now the proud owner of fifty acres of wine producing heaven.

Sherr Vineyards was born.

Niagara Falls daily job program was put into place when merchants complained of a lack of employees. The workers were mostly unemployed drifters who needed short time work, but in almost all cases, they worked hard for the small wages they were offered. Helmut opened the door to the small office and headed to the front desk. He was late.

The receptionist was an overweight woman with coke bottle glasses that barely covered one wandering and somewhat lazy eye. She had a very distinct lisp that stigmatized her to no end.

"Good morning madam, I'm Helmut Sherr from Sherr Vineyards. I called yesterday. Sorry for my lateness but do you have any workers available?"

"Yeth thir, that young man in the back hath been waiting for you," she replied, conscious of her speech impediment.

Helmut glanced at a teenager, sitting sideways on a wooden chair, staring into space. He was thin with brown tussled hair. His clothes were clean but the boy appeared disheveled.

"Is he on something?" Helmut asked. "He looks buzzed and I don't want any drug addicts on my property."

"Not that I know of; nith boy, just very quiet."

Helmut sighed and silently hoped he wasn't about to make a big mistake that would waste his time, energy and pocket book.

"Very well, let's get him up and going. What's his name?"

"Umm leth thee...ith Penny; Penny Lane."

Helmut stared back at her in disbelief. "For real? Penny Lane?" he questioned in a slow drawl. "Some parents are just plain cruel."

The receptionist shrugged. smiled and handed the tall German a three page contract. "Sign the bottom of each page," she ordered.

They drove back to the vineyard in Helmut's yellow Volkswagen van. Few words were wasted. Upon arrival, Penny exited the van and surveyed the property. The house behind them was an old red brick house with a green door that seemed to highlight an aura of simple living. About fifty feet from the house Penny saw a barn that needed a good painting. Tied to a post outside of the barn was a black goat munching on hay and the rope it was attached to.

"We'll get started then," Helmut said. "I'll drive the tractor and you pick up the rocks and put them on the trailer. Any problems?

"No sir," Penny answered quietly.

Penny didn't know why he was in Niagara Falls. He woke up last week and packed his bags. He told Mrs. Gambini that this is where he had to go; he had a calling or something to that nature and he had to go. None of it made sense to him or to the old lady but she knew him well enough to let him leave.

It had been close to four years since he awoke to learn that his mother had died and his girlfriend was missing. Mrs. Gambini took him into her house and did everything possible to comfort him. He called her his shining star and thanked her every day he lived in her home. He missed his mother, he missed the way she ran her fingers through his hair when they watched television in the evening. He longed to tell her how much he loved her.

He missed his girlfriend most of all. In between studying, he continued his search for Angel but every stone he turned left him with an empty feeling of longing and despair. He thought of the words to her favorite Manilow song.

Angel of my lifetime answer to all answers I can find. Baby I love you...

When she kissed him she always finished by touching the side of his face. She was his best friend. She was still his best friend and he would find her some day.

Baby I want you now and hold on fast. Could this be the magic at last?

So he would lift rocks for the German man. He would stay as long as he could and search for answers and search for his love.

The blazing July heat had little effect on Penny. He worked tirelessly for three hours before Helmut mercifully decided it was time for a lunch break. The German was impressed with the boys' energy and told him so.  Agnes walked towards them with sandwiches and a pitcher of water. Helmut then introduced her to Penny.

"You drink as much water as possible," Agnes ordered. "You'll be collapsing on us if you don't."

"Thank you ma'am," Penny answered shyly.

"You did some good work this morning, Penny," Helmut interrupted. "Did more in three hours than I did all of last week with the man you're replacing."

"Oh my Viceroy, you sound surprised," Agnes sneered. "Old man is crazy and lazy, he is. I've been telling you for years to fire him. Turn his bedroom into a TV room. If you're going to act surprised, be surprised that the old man hasn't burnt your house to the ground. Him and his cigarettes; smokes more than he breaths, he does."

Helmut turned to Penny and tilted his head towards Agnes. "Vincent is the man you're replacing for now. He and Agnes seem to have a running feud but truth be told I think they share the warm and fuzzy for each other."

"Sakes alive," Agnes said, flustered. "Don't be telling the boy what isn't right. The man is a curse upon me. Warm and fuzzy indeed, utter nonsense that is."

Agnes laid the sandwiches on the trailer and returned hastily to the house. Penny watched her shaking her head as if she was talking to herself.

Helmut studied the boy for a few seconds. "If you're interested, I've got about three weeks of work for you, maybe more depending on Vincent's recovery time."

"I'd like that very much sir.  It would be appreciated, thank you," Penny answered happily.

Helmut watched Penny devour his sandwich. "Instead of driving back and forth, I can set you up in the barn for the time being. Haven't cleaned up in there for the longest time but considering how hot it gets in the house, you'll probably be more comfortable outside. Just be careful of Mr. Wellington, the goat.  He's a nasty beast but if you don't bother him, he won't bother you. I'll keep him tied up on his side, so don't worry about him. You'll also get three meals a day provided you help with the dishes and other chores around the house. If you want snacks, I have chips. I love chips. Don't have anything else... just chips."

"That's wonderful sir, thank you very much. I'll work very hard, I promise."

Helmut had no doubt that the boy would do just that. He offered him the last sandwich and Penny took it without hesitation.