1 ~ Hot Days and the Fancy Ways

"This heat is a lot different then California heat." I mumbled, dragging my black and blue-checkered suitcase behind me.

"Yes, it is." My mother yawned, having just woken up from the long flight.

"So..." I looked around. "How do we get to our place?"

"Someone will have our card and they will show us to our house, which was paid for because of our relocation."

"Fantastic." I deadpanned.

It was hot, and I could hardly believe that I was here, in Miami Florida. I saw people walking around, some stuffing towels and chairs into their cars while others just roamed the streets. But everyone had one thing in common.

Shorts.

I was glad that I came from California, because some of the people in the airport had been stuffed into thermal outfits to keep in the heat. My jean shorts came a little above the mid-thigh, and I was wearing a red tank top to match my red, boys Nikes. During the flight I had gone back into the bathroom to do something with my hair, and had decided on a braid. My hair was now a thick rope down to my waist and my side bangs fell down over my right eye.

"There!" my mom shouted and rushed over to a woman with 'Martins' labeled on a card.

"Oh joy." I mumbled, trailing behind my dad.

"Hello, my name is Theresa Martin, this is my husband, David Martin, and my daughter, Isabelle Martin." The woman stared at me for a moment, and then turned back to my parents.

"A pleasure to meet you all. Now please, follow me to the car. The company has found a suitable house that I believe you will love. It's close to the beach, but not to close as to where you will need a new house soon." She chuckled and motioned us forward.

"Be polite Elle." My mom said as we loaded our luggage into the trunk.

"The truck with your boxes will be here some time today, most likely around this evening." We had left late, around ten, but we didn't have the jet lag feel because Mom had gotten the family into slowly transitioning into a Floridian's schedule the day we found out she and Dad were getting promotions.

"Thank you so much for your help." My mom gripped the woman's hand, a bright smile on her face.

"It was no problem. You have four days to get adjusted; we expect to see you and Mr. Martin at the company at seven A.M. on Monday. Good day." She nodded as we said goodbye and she walked out the door.

"Elle, your room will be..." she inspected all of the rooms and pointed the end of the hall. "That room, it's spacious enough for all of your knick-knacks. After that I expect you to head on out so you can get used to the place. Take a look at the beach and tell your father and I what it's like."

Knick-knacks? I grumbled, but complied as I headed into the room. She was right though; it definitely was spacious enough for my stuff and then some. It was twice the size of my old room, but that house had been cheap and old. This was a freaking condo!

I tossed my bag on the floor and started rummaging through it, looking for my bathing suit. I found it and put it on, admiring how it looked against my skin. It was a black bikini top with blue and black plaid bikini bottoms, my lucky swimsuit. I slipped the clothes I had been wearing back over them and slipped on my black flip-flops, enjoying the free feeling I got.

"I'm heading out then!" I slipped out the back door and a grin spread over my face. The beach was right there, and it was practically my backyard.

I rushed down the back porch steps and looked for a free spot. I found one for a single person, and looking at the waves I immediately wished our stuff was already hear so I could get my surfboard. I laid out my towel and dusted the sand off of my flip-flops before setting them on my towel. I rushed out to the water, loving the feeling of kicking the scolding sand up with my feet as I ran.