Chapter 16

"I know you're up there."

Lilah flinched from where she was standing at the top of the stairs. The Stone Assassin's voice floated up the staircase in a whisper, and she was still unsettled at how clear and melodic it was. She'd been bringing the wingless faerie his last couple meals, and just hearing him quietly intone "thank you" each time made a chill run up her spine.

The elf made her way silently down the stairs, carefully balancing a tray containing the assassin's dinner. Rounding the corner, she paused at the sight of the assassin hanging from his trinity chains, his grey eyes already on her. Apollo had lowered where the chains were attached to the poles so that the assassin was kneeling instead of completely suspended. She'd thrown a quilt over his ripped tunic, and he looked like some sort of bizarre scarecrow with the bright fabric on his thin figure.

"Dinner." Lilah smiled sheepishly, holding up the tray.

The assassin nodded. "Thank you."

She pulled up a chair in front of him, wincing a little at how it scraped across the concrete, and settled in front of him. Myrnah had prepared chicken and vegetable soup, again. It was the easiest thing to feed him, since Felix had been adamant about keeping him tied up. The assassin never complained at the indignity of the action, accepting each spoonful quietly and politely. Even now, he was silent and still as she picked up a spoon.

They were quiet for the first several moments as he ate. Lilah couldn't help but examine the assassin as he ate; it wasn't just his voice that was unsettling, it was his whole person. His pale skin looked sallow in the bald light from the light bulb, and his grey eyes almost glowed.

He no doubt felt her eyes on him – they obviously face to face – but he didn't say a word. His silence was beginning to get to her.

"Aren't you going to ask how long we're going to keep you here?" Lilah finally asked in frustration, lowering the spoon.

He paused as he munched, looking at her with an expressionless face. After a second, he finished his mouthful and swallowed. His grey eyes were impassive as they met her blue ones.

"I figured I would know the answer to that when you all let me go." He replied calmly.

Lilah eyed him warily. "What if we never let you go?"

The assassin shrugged, making the chains rattle. "There are worst places to be imprisoned."

Lilah digested that for a moment and shuddered delicately. "I guess." She murmured, picking up the spoon again.

She held up the spoon to his lips, but the assassin didn't open his mouth. An odd expression had come over his face, and Lilah couldn't interpret it.

"Did..." He stopped, hesitating. "Did... the girl... did she leave?"

Lilah blinked in surprise. "You mean Emery?"

The assassin nodded, suddenly averting his eyes.

She stared at him in astonishment. Unless she was going crazy, the assassin almost looked embarrassed.

"Yes." Lilah answered finally, questions hurtling around her mind like a hurricane. "After you gave her Greyfire's name, she took off with Roan and Eisla."

The assassin was quiet at that.

"They're gonna find him." Lilah said when it was clear he wasn't going to say anything. "And they're gonna make sure he pays for what he's doing. For what you were helping him do."