The Monogram

Chapter One

“Cheers!” Shouts Caitlyn Daniels as she raises her bottle of beer, “To finally graduating and surviving four long dreadful years of high school!”  She clanks her bottle against her four other friends’. The wind blows strands of her dirty blonde hair and she brushes it behind her ear as she takes a sip of her drink.

“Here is to being high school graduates and legal adults,” Kayla cheers raising her chocolate brown skinned hand. She gives a mischievous grin to Caitlyn, “Well, everyone here except Caitlyn.”

Caitlyn takes another sip, as she is reminded how she is the youngest one in her group of friends again. “At least I plan on getting my license the day I turn eighteen,” She grins, “You on the other hand don’t even have your restricted.”

“Hm… touché,” Kayla says. She leans back on the chest of her boyfriend, Kevin. Her dark hair falling on his arm, as he wraps it around her shoulder and she intertwines her hands in his.

Mina sets her bottle down on the sand from the beach, “That’s it for me.” She sets the half filled bottle aside and shrugged when Caitlyn gives her a look. “Someone has to be the designated driver and clearly it won’t be either one of you.”

Caitlyn nods agreeing with her best friend.

“Though you guys shouldn’t drink so much, we do have to get up early tomorrow.”

“Oh, we don’t have to get up till ten,” Caitlyn rolls her eyes. Mina and her were always opposites when it came to doing things. Mina is the type of person who would get somewhere ten minutes before she had to be there, while Caitlyn would at least try to show on the dot or maybe even five minutes after. “And just lay back and relax ok,” She does just that as she lays back down on the beach sand.

“You guys going to New York, right?” Robert asks pushing his glasses back.

“Yup we’re going to drive up there,” Kayla answers.

“While sightseeing in other states along the way,” Caitlyn says. “Like Virginia, Georgia, and Pennsylvania.” She takes one last sip of her beer and sets it aside. She did not need to be dealing with a hangover in the morning, and she did not want to get home drunk.

 “Too bad Kevin can’t go. He decided to start school early,” Says Kayla with annoyance.

Kevin shrugs, “Hey the faster I start the faster I can finish is what I say.” He glances at Mina, “So your brother is still driving you guys.”

Mina nods. “My parents still think it would be too dangerous for three girls to go by themselves. So they paid my brother to take us.”

Robert points his bottle over to Caitlyn. “Wow that’s going to be quite awkward.”

Mina shrugs, “If it’s quiet awkward, I don’t care. As long as those two don’t fight the whole trip, I’ll be good.”

“And as long as I don’t hear his stupid metal music, I won’t.”

“Hey Ronnie Radke, is actually pretty good,” Kayla says. Then in a whisper, “And I find him kind of cute.”

 “How?”

Kayla shrugs, “I don’t know.”

“Whether he does play his music or not, you promised that you wouldn’t fight with him,” Mina says. “Don’t worry I lectured him too.”

Caitlyn takes a drink from her bottle. This is why she had banned herself from ever dating one of her friends’ brothers. Because after you broke up, you still had a really big chance of seeing them again. And it sucks especially when that break up did not end so well.