Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Though it would have been so easy to give in to the despair threatening to devour me, I fought against it with everything in me. It's not over yet, I reminded myself with grim resolve.

I entered the bathroom, taking care of necessities and getting dressed as quickly as possible, then rushed to my bag retrieving my lifeline. The time display on my iPhone screen, when I turned it on, showed it was ten minuets past eleven am. Cursing myself for oversleeping, I redialed the number from yesterday, hoping Ehud was already nearby.

He answered on the firs ring, his voice crisp and businesslike as ever, "I have news for you Danny," he announced without preamble, "I've heard from my contact that the Boliakoves hopped on their private jet early this morning." His words hit me like a punch to the gut, the air leaving my lungs with an audible hiss. "W... Where did they fly to?" I stammered, my mouth dry. The answer did not come immediately and I could hear the noises surrounding Ehud over the phone. He was in a very crowded bustling place, a bad sign. "According to their flight plan they went to London, should have landed about an hour - hour and a half ago..." If I weren't already sited on the bed I would have collapsed, my heart hammering so hard it was lodged in my throat, my whole body shaking. "It might be a coinsidence," he added quickly, sensing my devastation, "the Boliakoves are in business with the Sinclairs, after all." That was news to me, though it wasn't a surprise, I've learned of the close ties between the packs from Alfred just yesterday. My mind finally made the connection: WFGB, the name of the syndicate stood for White Fangs and Grey Backs. I felt the walls closing in on me, making it even harder to breath. "Udi," I forced my voice to sound calm and steady, "where are you?" "I just landed, my flight was delayed." His words, said in an apologetic tone, were accompanied by the sounds of my hope crumbling, "the car is already waiting for me, I'll be in Oxfordshire within ninety minuets, give or take." I struggled to respond through the bolder sized lump in my throat. "I'm in the basement," I whispered hoarsely, "I don't know how much time I have left, it's not much, though..." Ehud sounded uncharacteristically worried when he told me "hang on, I have an extraction plan, we will soon get you out of there."

Given the information I now had there was no doubt it won't be soon enough. Though Ehud was one of the best in his field, he had no idea what he was up against, it was grossly unfair of me to involve him in the first place, but now with the certainty that he would arrive too late... Tears stung my eyes as I came to the only logical conclusion, "thank you, Udi..." I swallowed with effort, "I really appreciate all you did for me... It was above and beyond the call of duty..." My voice broke and I couldn't go on. "Danny," he was almost shouting now, "don't you dare say goodbye! I'm coming for you, do you hear me?!" The absolutely wrong thing to say, I laughed humorlessly, the exact same words HE used. "Please... Please, find a way to tell my family I love them... Don't come, got it? It's too late... Stay away!" I ended the call before Ehud could respond, and for a long moment stared sightlessly at the phone, communicating with my wolf. She growled her rage at my intentions, shaking her head with denial. I'm sorry, I mentally hugged her trying to comfort, there's no other way! I'd rather die then return to HIM... We'll be forced into the mating bond, caged, suffocating... A fate worse than death! We will not be able to get away a second time...

That's what it all came down to: fight or flight. The basic instinct every cognizant creature, no matter how primitive, has. I chose the latter five years ago, and now... Well, there's no greater escape than death, is there?

My internal dialog was interrupted by the entrance door sliding open. Panicking, I tucked the gadget into the back pocket of my jeans, hurriedly arranging my t-shirt to cover the bump. I knew it wouldn't help me anymore, but I guess there was a glimmer of defiance left in me after all. Leo was casually leaning on the doorframe, if he noticed my action he didn't show it. Actually, he exhibited no emotion at all, his expression shuttered and inscrutable. "You're already dressed," he noted blandly. I merely shrugged, eyeing him cautiously. Same as in the previous day he was wearing an obviously expensive tailored suit that molded to his form, exposing his amazing physique to its best advantage. The white silk shirt was stark against the dark charcoal grey jacket and the strands of his raven black hair that kissed the collar. Even though he had no tie, the top button loose exposing his neck down to the clavicle, Leo didn't quite succeed in achieving a nonchalant carefree look. He seemed too reserved, his energy coiled too tightly around his body. A predator on the verge of attack.