Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 4

Jaycee

Flying is not my favorite thing to do, but sitting in first class does make it a little easier. I slide open the opaque plastic that is currently blocking my view of the tarmac and look outside as the other passengers take their seats. The lady at the counter told me the flight was full, so I know this process is going to take a while. As the flight attended struggles to load up an elderly woman's bag, I rest my head back against my seat and close my eyes.

It really doesn't matter who my seat partner is because there's plenty of room for us to not touch each other. Still, I feel a bit apprehensive when a tall, unsmiling teenager takes the seat next to me. At least he has his ear buds in so I know we won't have to try to keep up any social chitchat. I close my eyes again and wait for the plane to be boarded.

When all of first class is full, the other passengers from coach begin to crowd the isle and find their seats. I hate this part of every trip. I feel so closterphobic when everyone is standing in the isles. The teenager next to me offers a small apologetic smile when another passenger bumps into him causing his elbow to bump my arm. At least he has some manners.

When my flight finally leaves the ground, I find myself feeling impatient for drink service. I'm in the last row of the first class section and it seems like the flight attendant wants to start a conversation with everyone. I'm finally given the chance to order a drink and since it's still early, I order a Mimosa and feel bad for the boy next to me who only gets the orange juice.

Feeling a little more relaxed and settled, I take my book from my purse and flip it open. I love a good romance, and this one promises to be a steamy one. Lost in the story, I barely notice the small chime that lets me know they will be beginning the inflight movie. I've seen it a few times and decide to read my book instead. A few passengers make their way to the bathroom before it starts, but I ignore them because the two characters from my book are about to kiss for the first time.

The lights are dim and people are quiet. The boy next to me is playing some handheld video game and appears to be in his own world. I adjust myself in my seat to help keep my circulation moving. My movement has caught the teen's attention and he takes the ear bud closest to me out of his ear. Leaning in he asks, "What's up with the guy in 10B?"

I peek past him and follow the seat numbers along the top of the bins. When my eyes find 10B, I look down to see the seat's inhabitant. Brandon Stone. His eyebrows lift when we make eye contact. "I have no idea. Why?" The teen smirks at me and gives me a look that clearly shows he's not buying my story.

"That dude has been staring at you since he came back from the bathroom. I was guessing that maybe you two know each other or something. If not, you better watch out. It's almost like he doesn't care who sees him watching you. Guy has confidence." I watch as the teen's lip ring slides across his teeth as he talks.

"Arrogance," I correct him. He laughs a little and shakes his head.

"Whatever."

Trying to ignore both of them, I find my place in my book again and pretend to read. There is no way I'm actually going to be able to concentrate on my book when Brandon is on the same plane. My mind is racing a million miles a minute as I try to figure out what he might be doing flying to Hawaii in the middle of a workweek. Maybe he took off early for a little vacation with a friend.

I turn the page when I think I have stared at it long enough. What are the chances that I would run into him a few nights ago and then end up on the same plane with him now? Only my luck would have me sharing such a small space with him again. I finally give up on the pretending and close my book. After the movie when our lunch is served, the teen next to me strikes up a conversation. "So, why are you going to Hawaii?" he asks.

"Business. You?" I stab some salad with my fork and watch as he digs into the sandwich he brought instead of the plane food.

"Visit my dad. My parents are divorced. Dad gets summer and any break at school longer than three days." I nod my head and wonder to myself how long he has had to travel by himself back and forth between his parents.

We eat our lunches and fall back into silence. I enjoyed the small conversation with my seatmate because it kept me from obsessing over Brandon. He hasn't looked back over here since I caught him looking the first time. I feel nervous and a slow simmer of excitement builds in my stomach as we get closer to our destination. When we finally land, I take my time getting off the plane and then out of the airport. I don't see Brandon and I breathe a small sigh of relief as the car I arranged pulls away from the curb and on to the road to my hotel.

This is not my first time in Hawaii, but the sight of the beach and the crystal clear water has my blood pumping. My mother forwarded me the itinerary she was going to follow with my father and I made a few changes. After dinner with our prospective new partner, I'm going to try and enjoy a tropical drink with my feet in the soft sand of the beach. It might be late and dark, but I need to take the opportunity when I find it since I will only be here a few days.

Once in my hotel room, I take a hot shower and get ready for dinner. I decide to wear a sundress that is fitted across my chest but then flows loosely around my thighs. I slip on a pair of sandals and twist my hair up off my neck. With a small amount of make-up and a little lip-gloss I feel like I'm professional, but still keeping with the spirit of the island.

The restaurant is elegant and luxurious. It's so dark inside that it's hard to see far ahead of myself. Soft candlelight is the only lighting in the room and the tall backs of the circular booths prevent the light from shining very far. It's a highly romantic vibe, but I'm here to do business so I worry a little about my parent's choice of restaurants.

The host shows me to a table that is reserved in the back and I start looking over the menu. I'm going to be spending a lot of time with this person, which causes me to feel a little anxious as I wait to see what he's like. I know that his name is Benjamin and I'm picturing a man in his mid forties. We'll have to work together this trip and then for the length of our partnership so I know I must be completely professional.

When I hear the host approach again, I look up from my menu and my eyes immediately catch on to the tall, handsomely breathtaking man in front of me. I feel the heat rise up inside my chest and my breath catch as he chuckles and then holds his hand out for me to shake. We're not strangers though and I feel the familiar sensation of my stomach flipping as Brandon Stone shakes my hand and then slides into the booth beside me.