Chapter 5

Jay

My heart beat loudly in my chest as my eyes focused on the familiar face on the screen. If anything, time had only made him more handsome than ever. Kyle meshed together the rugged rock-star persona and the charming, handsome appearance perfectly, and was probably the star of many a girl's dreams. Seeing him again, even on a terribly pixellated screen, made me feel oddly self-conscious and uncomfortable.

As he waved to the crowd and flashed his dimples, I heard an audible sigh echoing from around me and looked around only to see a classroom of starstruck girls all looking dreamily at the on-screen Kyle. Only Allison was looking vaguely uninterested, and even her eyes kept darting up to the screen from her book. Otherwise, other than Victoria, who's eyes were being covered by her boyfriend Garrett and was struggling futilely to get him to let go, all the other girls were lost in the man that was Kyle Eberhardt. Somewhat disgruntled that even the jocks seemed interested in what he had to say, I scoffed internally and rolled my eyes before returning my attention to the screen.

Clearly the host was as starstruck as the girls in my class, as she shook his hand repeatedly and seemed reluctant to let it go. Keeping a smile on his face, Kyle gently pried his hand out of her vice grip and scooted back on his seat to create more distance between the two of them. I almost barked out in laughter as I recognised his supremely uncomfortable fake smile, but forced myself to say silent and indifferent.

The blonde bimbo of a host finally snapped out of it and hastily retrieved her cards from the glass coffee table between the two of them.

"So tell me, Kyle, about your new album. You said before that the single you released before the album, Boots, had special significance to you. I'm sure everyone in the audience is keen to know what that significance is?" The host winked at the audience as they cheered out in support of her statement.

Giving a casual brush of his hand through his hair, Kyle let out a shy laugh and lowered his gaze briefly before looking up at the host with a smile. "It's significant because… it was written for the girl I love."

The host almost fell off her seat at the news, and the audience turned deathly silent for a brief moment before whispers broke out and cheers erupted. Regaining her composure, the host smiled widely back at Kyle.

"My, my. I'm sure everyone in the audience is as excited as I am at that piece of news! I wonder who the lucky girl is?" She prompted, gazing at Kyle expectantly.

An adorable blush appeared on Kyle's face as he chuckled in embarrassment. Taking a breath, he looked into the crowd.

"I made a terrible mistake when I was younger. I left a girl who I loved very much."

A loud gasp rumbled around the studio audience, and the host put a hand up to her mouth.

I rolled my eyes. My subconscious mind reminded me to stop doing it lest my eyeballs really got stuck up there.

"The song was written for her. We were a perfect couple. She was the sweetest girlfriend. I titled the song 'Boots', because I remember how she always loved to wear the most ridiculously adorable boots."

The crowd chuckled and the host giggled spastically. My eyes widened as I realised what Kyle was talking about. I glanced down surreptitiously at the boots on my feet, the brand new daisy patterned ones that I had picked up just before I moved into my new place. Feeling stares at my feet, I glanced around and found that the girls who just a moment ago had their attentions wholly captured by the hunk of a man on the screen were now peering past each other and under tables at my feet. I quickly tucked my feet closer under my chair, feeling my cheeks burning. Definitely the wrong pair of shoes to choose to wear for casual Fridays.

"I want to apologise for my mistake, to ask for her forgiveness for my stupidity in letting her go. I haven't ever forgotten her, and I feel that it is time for me to try and win her back." He looked directly into the camera, his eyes smoldering and intense with emotion.

"I hope you're out there listening. Cause I can't wait any longer. I have to see you again. I have to say I'm sorry, and make up for my mistakes."

No, it couldn't be- He couldn't really be talking about-?

"So here I am on national television, spilling my heart out-"

No, don't say it-

"Because even after all these years, I still love you-"

I had the odd urge to stuff my fingers in my ears at this point.

"And I miss you-"

No, no, no, no…

"So, please-"

Don't tell me you're in love with-

"So Miss Jay Woodson, will you please give me a second chance?"

Me.

Feeling like I just had the wind knocked out of me, I slumped down in my seat. Mind reeling from what I'd just heard, I was definitely not prepared when all the girls leapt out of their seats and rushed up to my table, demanding to know if it was all true and gushing about how lucky I was.

"I-" I swallowed. "I think I need a moment."

Making to stand up, I'd just taken a step towards the door before I heard shrieking in the hallways. Panicking and snapping out of my thoughts, I'd just reached out to open the door to find out what was going on when Josiah tore past me and slammed open the door, disappearing into the hall. Frowning in confusion, I followed him tentatively while the rest of the class squeezed me along through the door.

Annoyed at the pushing and prodding, I turned around and was just about to swat away the hand that had dared to give me a push forwards on my butt when I heard my name echoing through the hallway, which had suddenly turned deathly silent again.

Wincing slightly as I turned back slowly, I raised my eyes to meet piercing blue ones staring at me from merely two metres away. My throat turned dry and I couldn't bring myself to look away.

"It's nice to see you again, Jay." He smirked, and I felt a tinge of irritation at his cocky expression.

However, I was unable to utter a word, still overwhelmed by his proximity. As I studied his features, it was like I had returned to high school. He hadn't changed at all.

Finally gathering my wits, I swallowed.

"Kyle."

And then I turned and ran.

**

Unfortunately, I must admit I didn't make it very far. I blame the floor. Of all the schools, why did this one have to have the greasiest floor that made it impossible to run without falling? And those blister-causing new boots. Damn.

My face burned as I kneeled with my hands supporting myself, preventing my face from smashing into the ground. Cringing as I heard laughter and footsteps behind me, I willed myself to continue staring at the ground and not look up as I tried to regain my balance and stand up.

A hand appeared before my face and was offered to me and I had no choice but to look up in embarrassment. Cursing my flaming cheeks, I was surprised to find that instead of the dark-haired man I had been expecting, I was met with the sight of golden-blonde locks. Gaping up at him unattractively, my mouth hung open as Reuben smiled gently down at me, gesturing for me to take his hand. Quickly shutting my mouth, I thrust my hand into his urgently and he pulled me back up to standing position.

Reuben glanced behind me briefly and looked at me questioningly. I shook my head a tiny bit. A look of understanding passed over his face and he nodded imperceptibly, before tightening his grip on my hand considerably as his gaze drifted back to a spot behind me.

Trying to control my breathing, I cringed as I felt a looming presence behind me.

"Jay."

I was forced to turn my head back and look over my shoulder at Kyle. All traces of amusement from my fall gone from his face, Kyle's eyes narrowed in on our intertwined hands. His gaze then travelled slowly upward until it finally focused on Reuben's. A silent staring match ensued.

Oh, brother.

**