Swift To Sin, Swift To Shed Blood

Story Two in the Mall Demon Series

By Pedro Ramirez III

The young girl scanned the crowd, but could not find her older sister. She sighed.

"I've been waiting 20 minutes for her, mom!" the girl said into the cell phone.

As if prompted by her mother, Angel placed her shopping bags on the table in front of her.

"OK… Yes, the food court...next to Subway."

She sat - a look of concern and frustration on her 15-year-old face. A small bird flitted above catching her eye. The girl tracked its flight, looking through two demons perched on the scaffolding above the food court.

The master demon watched the bird fly towards the ceiling lights where he lost sight of it.

"Hmmmm. Be warned. Control your appetite," the master demon said, sniffing at the air. "Do not allow yourself to get drunk with desire."

The smaller demon was perched next to his master. The apprentice watched with his narrow, red eyes three teen girls moving down the escalator. The master noticed and growled.

"Be warned!"

The outburst startled the apprentice who jerked his gaze away from the girls.

"You are spending too much time with Lust!" the master demon said. "You have been warned... That path will lead to destruction."

Below the demons, another girl was approaching the sandwich shop. She saw her younger sister, Angel, sitting at a table.

"Where have you been?" Lily asked. "I've been looking for you."

Angel looked up at her older sister.

"No you haven't. I've been waiting right here for 20 minutes."

"What? No way!"

The demons drawn by the smell of deceit watched the sisters.

"Opportunity," the master demon said.

"We said we'd meet here. I was here," Angel said. "You're lying."

Lily sat across from Angel showing no signs of being affected by her sister's accusation.

"What did you buy?" Lily asked, changing the subject. She had the bag in hand examining the contents before Angel could react.

"Give it back!"

The blouse was from Hollister. Lily instantly fell in love with it.

"Cute!" Lily said. "Can I wear it tomorrow?"

The master demon smiled.

"A perfect opportunity," he said.

"I'm ready, master," the apprentice said.

"We shall see."

The apprentice took his cue and swooped down. He landed next to Lily and Angel.

With his master watching overhead, the apprentice went to work on Lily. He was so close to her now. His nose inches from her cheek. She was intoxicating.

"The party is tomorrow," Lily asked again. "Can I wear it?"

Lily liked nice things. She deserved nice things. The apprentice demon formed the thought in her mind.

"No, I'm wearing it," Angel said. "Besides, it's mine."

The demon deepened Lily's desire. Lily was determined to stare down her sister.