Always The Best Friend, Never The Girlfriend

Hey this is just the proluge of the story. If you have any suggestions for anything, that would be great. I love writing, i don't know if I'm good or not, so i would like feedback, but no harsh words please. and if you are reading this, thank you for taking interest in my story. :)

______________________________________________________________________

Proluge

"Ew! Larissa! You have cooties!"

"Just one kiss! Please?"

I, Larissa Deloney, knew that Michael Whetherson and I would be very close one day since the day I met him.

I might have only been 5, but we were so much alike that I could tell we would get married in a pink castle one day. I mean, we both loved cookies and wanted to grow up to be firemen, well a fireWOMAN in my case. We also worshipped the same tv show, Teen Titans. We were both obsessed!

The problem was Mike didn't know it yet. For example, the first time I met him was at the park. We both wanted to go on the slide. We were fighting over who got to go first. I decided to settle it by pushing him out my way to go first. He ended up with scraped knees and bruised elbows. I ended up grounded. True love, isn't it sweet?

I guess the fates were trying to tell us something because we ended up going to the same kindergarten. I was very excited because I thought I had a friend in the class while he thought the exact opposite. We would play what I thought was tag, but was him running away in terror. Eventually, it did turn into tag and then the fun began.

We became known as the trouble twins, stupid, I know but what do you expect from little third graders? We played all sorts of games and played pranks on innocent parents and teachers. I remember getting suspended for doing the bucket full of water over the door prank. To tell you the truth, staying home for 3 days watching tv and only doing the occasional homework was great. I drank juice boxes and watched Teen Titans with Mike all day.

All of this led up to us being great friends up until junior high. Ah, those sweet acne filled years. Everything is so awkward because that's when puberty hits and having boyfriends or girlfriends wasn't gross anymore. Everyone in school kept thinking that Mike and I were a couple. Some people made fun of us for sitting together at lunch. I never understood why, though. I thought it was ridiculous. Others would sing the kissing in the tree song, which I found extremely immature. So of course that led to some embarrassment on both our parts. We began to drifted apart and hung out with different people, mostly the same gender, as everyone else. I called this period of time, the dark ages.

I had sleepovers. He had basketball games. Things changed between us and we hardly talked to each other except for the small hellos exchanged in the school halls.

But I had enough of the silly pedicures and giggles of the slumber parties and decided to take a stand. I missed going to Mike's after school to watch reruns of Angry Beaver. 8th grade came and the first day of school, I sat next to Mike at lunch. He was as surprised as I was, but I determined to still be friends. We talked, laughed, and threw food. The good times were back!

Of course whispers started and rumors began to spread on whether Mike and I were a couple. But we decided, "Who cares!?" Things were great between us. Maybe a little too great.

I started to notice Mike staring at me in class. I thought nothing of it at first, but after a while, it was hard not to notice. He would blush if I complimented him, but only as a friend, instead of his usual cocky responses. I heard rumors of Mike having a crush on me, but I thought that was silly. We were only friends. Right? Wrong. Pretty soon Mike admitted that he did like me, but I was only thinking I our friendship. I kept thinking how weird it be since I only knew him as friend. Would we kiss? I didn't know how to kiss. I had never kissed anyone in my while life besides my own parents. What about my parents? was I allowed to date? I never asked. If we started to date, things would be different and what if we broke up? So I told him what I thought was best which was the conclusion that we should just stay friends.

Mike said he understood, but he sulked for the rest of the week. I felt bad and a little sad too, but at the time I didn't think that I liked him. We were just friends through my eyes, I think.

Luckily, or maybe unluckily, a new girl, Lucy, came along. She was from Oregon. She was quite pale compared to us Cali kids. It looked like she had never seen a day of sun, but I could tell the moment Mike laid his eyes on her, that he fell head over heels for her. She had the softest long brown hair and cute freckles. You could tell Lucy liked Mike too. Who could blame her though? He had dirty blonde hair and smooth tan skin from always being in the sun. Not to mention those deep chocolate eyes pair with a cute, shy smile. They started to date which was kin of inevitable.

People would start saying things like I was jealous or that I had "missed my chance". And I had to admit, I was kinda jealous. I wasn't jealous because I liked Mike, I think, but because he was spending more time with her! I thought we were friends? As time went on, I began to despise Lucy and her cute friendliness. I cringe at the sound of her cute laugh. I couldn't tolerate her kindness. Everything she did was perfect through Mike's eyes. It was almost everything I wasn't. Why did she have to be so perfect for Mike?!

Then the worst thing possible happened. We became science partners. I had to sit next to her and watch her raise her hand and get every answer right. I rolled my eyes at her neat hand writing. And of course our science teacher had to give us a science project in which we would have to spend time together out of school. What was he thinking?! He probably wasn't. Almost everyone knew that I didn't like Lucy, well, except Lucy.

So Lucy turned to me and invited me to come over after school. The only reason I had said yes was to see if I can prove that she was a fraud of being Mike's perfect girl because I didn't believe her little act for one second. I only wanted the PERFECT girl Mike, he deserved it, he was my best friend and he was a great guy. Oh, and I also wanted to get a grade because (who are we kidding?) I really needed it.

We decided to walk their together because she normal walks home. Walking down the block, I could already tell which house was her's because it had her personality, cute and cozy. What a weird coincidence. Lucy took me in and offered me a drink,a snack, or anything of my heart's desire. I was ready to expose Lucy as the fake I thought she was. I even brought my small cam recorder to film the moment I caught her to prove to everyone that Lucy wasn't who they thought she was. Then we went in her room and I was compltly shocked.

She had NSYC posters everywhere and a electric guitar just like me! We got to talking and I figured out that we were soo alike. She liked pandas, took gymnastics, and worshipped Cheetos. I also figured out that she wasn't all that perfect too, which I thought was a-okay because perfect was overrated. Like this one time she put worms in her brother's bed because he took her favorite stuffed panda for ransom. Needless to say, she got her toy back with no problem. I had the feeling that Lucy and I were going to be friends, like the same feeling I had with Mike.

We ended becoming the best of friends. Mike, Lucy, and I hung out all freshman year with no problems, except that fight that Lucy and Mike got in but I quickly resolved with my magical advice. The fight was only about a ballroom dance date thing. I thought it wasn't it big deal, but what do I know about ballroom dancing? This was one of the best years except for the fact of the lack of privacy in the locker rooms.

Things seemed to be going fabulous until sophomore year began. Things changed for the worse it seemed and things began to spiral downwards.