Kayla's Fear

Kayla's Fear 

"Hey Mom!" I called as I walked out of the frigid, wet weather and into our nice, warm home. I walked into the kitchen and found my mother baking as usual. I smiled and gave her a hug as I started sifting through the mail.  

"How was school?" She asked as she pulled chocolate cupcakes (my favorite!) out of the oven.  

"Eh, the usual" I said with a shrug. I paused and frowned at the little white envelope. I put the other mail down on the table and used my finger to open what I presumed to be an invitation. I could feel mom peeking over my shoulder. She gave a little shout of joy and snatched the invitation from my hand and read it aloud. 

"You are invited to Ben's Fiftieth Birthday party" She said. I groaned and didn't pay attention to the rest of the letter. 

Ben and Danielle Johnson are my parents' best friends. I love them, really I do! They are so sweet. Their son on the other hand...well let's just say that he and I never got along very well.

"MOMMY!!!"  

"What is going on?!" Mom came running in the door. She sighed when she saw the situation. She knelt down next to me and put her hands on my tiny shoulders. "What happened Honey, Kayla?" She asked, looking at my tear-stained face.  

"He killed Barbie!" I screamed, pointing at little Taylor Johnson. He just looked around innocently. Mom picked up the Barbie body in one hand and the head in the other before looking back at me. 

"I'm sorry sweetie, but we'll get you a new one. How does that sound?" She asked as her face lit up. 

"But he killed her!! Aren't you going to put him in time-out?" I whined. 

"What happened?" Mrs. Danielle asked as she walked in.  

"Taylor killed my Barbie!! See!" I said pointing at the Barbie in my mommy's hands. 

"Taylor Johnson! What did I tell you about playing with other kids toys!!! You can't just break things like you do with your own!!" She scolded him before putting him in time-out. 

"But mom!" He complained but she shushed him before he could say anymore. 

"I don't want to hear it!" She told him before sitting down on the couch next to my mom. I stole a glance at Taylor and stuck my tongue out at him. I could tell that he was really mad.

"Mom this is crazy!" I told her from my seat on the couch. She was bustling around the living room, cleaning. That's another thing that she does a lot.  

"No it is not crazy Kayla. We are going and that is it! No buts about it!" She said without even looking at me. 

"Okay, why don't you and dad go then? I could stay here for a day by myself!" I suggested. 

"No! You are coming with us. It would be very rude for you just to skip out on Ben's birthday party." She said in her finalized tone. I sighed in frustration and leaned back on the couch. "Besides Honey, it's been what, ten years? You are a young adult now. I'm sure you two will get along great!" She said cheerily. I just closed my eyes. I was doomed. This...was going to be a nightmare.

I frowned at the boy sitting next to me. I could not believe that I had to sit here with him. He was so mean!  

"You kids just stay there and watch a movie, okay?" Mrs. Danielle said as her and my mom walked into the kitchen to make dinner.  

I stood up and walked over to the movie collection. I started looking for my favorite movie, The Little Mermaid. I smiled when I found it and pulled it out of the pile. 

"Oh no! There is no way we're watching the Little Mermaid!" Taylor whined as he jumped up from the couch and hurried over to me and the pile of movies. "We're going to watch Star Wars!" He said with a smile.  

"Nuh-uh! I don't like that movie!! That guy in the weird black suit scares me! I want to watch The Little Mermaid!" I said and started putting it in the VCR.  

"No we're not! We're watching Star Wars! What kind of kid doesn't like Star Wars? You're just a wimp!" He said, pulling my hand and the VHS tape away from the VCR. 

"No I'm not!! And why can't we watch The Little Mermaid?!" I asked. 

"Because it's for wimps!! No wonder you watch it!" He retorted, sliding the movie into the VCR. 

"You're mean! I hate you!!" I screamed at him, crying now. 

"I hate you too!" He screamed back and then plopped on the couch as Star Wars began. I ran screaming and crying to the kitchen.

"We're here!" My dad said as we pulled into the driveway. I took a deep breath and tried to forget all the evil times that kid and I had together. I didn't have to worry about it because I had a plan. 

I was going to head straight for Ben and wish him a happy birthday. I would wait for him and Danielle to stop gushing over how much I had grown and then find one of the other teenagers and talk to them that way I didn't have to talk to Taylor. I knew there had to be at least one other sixteen-year-old girl there. I just had to make sure I got to her before Taylor did. Or maybe there would be a cute guy there. Well, a guy that wasn't one of Taylor's friends. 

"Hey!" I heard that lovely, familiar voice as the door opened. It was Danielle. I instantly smiled and waited until it was my turn to give her a hug.  

Oh my! Look how you've grown! You are just so beautiful!! What are we going to do with you?" She gushed after she released me from her hug. I just smiled and blushed as usual.  

"Happy Birthday!!" I called as Ben came into view and gave us all hugs.  

"Thanks sweetheart! Oh look at you!" He said, stepping back. I blushed again and looked down.  

"I know! That's what I said. Taylor! Taylor, honey, come here for a second!" Danielle called from over her shoulder. I instantly froze and my eyes popped open. This wasn't good. Ugh, I hate this. This was what I was hoping to avoid! 

I kept my eyes on the ground as I heard his approaching footsteps and my parents return the favor by gushing over how handsome he was.  

"Isn't he handsome Kayla?" My mom asked as she nudged me. I couldn't believe she was doing this to me!  

I slowly lifted my head and looked at him. My breath caught in my throat as I met his gaze... 

...and we both smiled.