More than Holy, less than God

• Dedicated to Randi Russelburg

More Than Holy

Less Than God

Randy L Russelburg

6/27/2008

Contents

London Calling. 3

Heathrow Luggage. 10

College of Knowledge. 15

The Meeting Begins. 18

The Little Black Box. 19

My Little Friend. 23

We’ve Only Just Begun. 26

Shooting off Your Mouth. 28

What it is, My Brother?. 29

More than Holy

Less than God

London Calling

Stained glass windows warmly welcomes company to the manor to be found so perfectly positioned on a hill that the rising sun illuminates both the birth scene and miracles of Christ on one side of the building‘s short stained glass windows, and the setting sun illustrates the torture and death of Christ on the cross of crucifixion and finally the burial, making it a daily appreciation of the sacrifices that Jesus Christ made in the name of his followers and values.

A morbidly-obese double-door made of ebony wood banded by three parallel hand-fashioned black iron ribbons receive me at the front of the old manor house, ultimately opened by Master De Charny himself, a short and very inconsistent looking man with the hands and feet of a circus giant, and the build of a somewhat burly lady in waiting.

Never being a man of anything but humility and modesty he would never lower himself to having anyone in his employ which would “serve” him to accomplish such menial tasks as opening doors, “This is something that I can accomplish with great zeal, at quite a bargain basement price I might add.” he would reply when asked; a lot like speaking to Mark Twain, but, without all the flashy good looks.

“Welcome my friend, Page” De Charny says as he opens the door upon my arrival at the top step of the thickset porch, motioning for me to enter with the graceful wave of his right arm.

Kenyon is my given Christian name, but I have always gone by Page when in the company of Master De Charny, at least when at his property.

“Please come in, come in! I have refreshments in the kitchen that I’ve just perfected, please make yourself at home in the library and I’ll join you in just a moment.” He stated as he smiled invitingly while simultaneously turning on a heel to fetch the drinks from the kitchen and gesturing towards the library. His entertaining skills are legendary and have been used to receive some very important people. Important in my eyes, at least.

Being a person of my… extent, I am delighted by the word “refreshment”. But then again, being a great enthusiast of good food is what made me the dimension I am, however the height I must blame on my grandfather, for sure. Although I must admit, what the average person calls refreshments are more often than not something which would offer me little more than frustration. I often mentally liken it to giving a whale a breath mint.

Seeing this manor house so many times as a boy in my raising, I have never had the occasion of seeing the inside, or at least any more than one can see from the front door, but now as I stand in this wonderful house I never would have imagined that it would be like this.

***

Since the age of seven I have been in the service of the De Charny family. Not employment in the actual substance of the word, but as a matter of assistance to them. This was at the due diligence of my father.