Chapter 8

Chapter dedicated to NightSkyBlue for the honest comments, I really appreciate it! :)

Shoutout to Fork104 for the awesome banner at the side. It's really gorgeous! :)

-Chapter 8-

"I'm coming home." 

These simple three words made my heart plunged down into depths of depair. Thanks to those three words, it made me started to reminisce about the past, when I still had a complete family. It was giving me a terrible headache that reminded me of a horrible past I didn't want to remember. See how such simple three words could have affected anyone in anyway? I wished I didn't have such a sharp hearing; I wished I didn't wished to replay the recording to hear these three words. And may I also add that, the voice sounded very much like my father.

And there was a silence that lasted for about 3 seconds, before the recording started booming with Mum's voice. No...tell me it's not. Tell me it's not Father who's beside you, Mum, tell me it's not what I actually thought I heard. Everything was just an illusion, and it wasn't Father who said he was coming home.

Not that I didn't want Father to come back, or I want him to come back. Don't accuse me, my dear readers. It was just..hesitant about meeting him. It was all too sudden for his arrival, and I have already forgotten all the hatred I had for him in the past. But think on the good side. Father's arrival would have meant making Mum happy ever again, our family fixing back together, and most of all, the one man I used to be my father was going to come back. Thinking in deep thought, Mum's voice that played through the recording seemed to gradually become softer as I stared into deep space.

"Rainie? Rainie, hello? Stop spacing, you dummy." Jarrell knocked me on the head, making me jump out of the chair in fright.

"Sorry...what?" I gazed at him with an expressionless face.

"Did you even heard what your Mum said?" His eyebrows frowned and stared into my eyes.

"N-noo. Play it again, I'm s-sorry." With my cold shaky hands, I snatched his phone from his hands and dragged back to where I stopped. When I was just about to press 'play', a pair of strong and warm hands cupped my trembling ones, making me instantly felt eased up and secured. Because of my cold trembling hands, I didn't really took note of the tingling feeling I felt when he touched my hands. But I didn't fail to realise that, just that at this point in time, it was relatively unimportant.

"Calm down, Rainie. You're shaking so badly, I don't know why." Looks like he didn't realise the voice hidden behind Mum's voice. Of course he wouldn't have noticed, it wasn't his Father to even be concerned with in the first place, and he wasn't those type of people to go into details. 

Taking away my hands from his, I pressed play. Resuming at the part after the few seconds of silence, the voice of Mum started playing again.

After listening to the whole recording, let me make a vague summary of what she said. Half of what she was saying were just expressing her motherly love for me and how enjoyable she is having a summer vacation with the colleagues. Am I supposed to feel touched? Yes I am.  All the questions she asked through the recording were basically rhetorical questions, even though I hope she knew I could not reply her.

And at the last part, was the main important reason why she sent this recording to Jarrell.

"Because your Mum is scared you won't be able to survive without me," I rolled my eyes. "Thus, you shall be staying at Jarrell's or his friend's house for the time being until I get back, okay sweetie? Be good, and enjoy your stay there!" It went dead, and that was all it was to the recording. But what the shit seriously, I am going to stay at Alexanders house? No way. First things first, I don't want to sound like I'm intruding someone else's house and live. It makes me look super thick-skinned, which I am not. Second thing, I was clearly embarrassed that Jarrell had to be the messenger to inform me that my Mum was going on a vacation without telling me.