2

Christian drove in silence while a brooding Cade sat in the front seat next to him. Christian clearly noticed the foul mood of the car and I wondered if he was as uncomfortable as I thought he should be.

"So," Christian trailed. I met his hazel eyes in the rearview mirror. "What's your name?"

"Tessa," I muttered.

He nodded. "Did your family start in a pack and move to the Order?"

"I don't have a family."

I wasn't sure if Cade even bothered to listen to me, but I hoped he didn't. He didn't deserve to know about my life. He was engaged to someone else. He told me to my face that he loved this other woman. He said it to hurt me. I knew he did. He knew he did.

"At all?"

"No."

I didn't feel like going into the sob story that was my life. I had made the most of what life dealt me. That was all that mattered.

"Did something happen to them?"

"Why does it matter," I retorted.

"Don't be so fucking rude," Cade shot over his shoulder.

My temper flared at his hostility. "Who the fuck are you to tell me how to act?"

"I'm the fucking Beta. I can tell you whatever I want," he exploded.

"I don't care what your title is. You have no right to tell me how to speak."

"I have every damn right!" He shifted more in his seat to face me.

"The hell you do! I am perfectly capable of having a fucking conversation with him if I want to!"

"You're not having a conversation with him! You're muttering responses and being an overall bitch."

My eyes set in a hard glare. "I'm being a bitch?" I asked, voice low, controlled.

"You are," he confirmed.

"I'll show you a fucking bitch." I turned my attention to Christian who looked highly uncomfortable with the situation. "Did you know I'm his mate?"

Christian's shock wasn't even close to concealed. Cade stared at me in disbelief. Both brothers displayed wide, hazel eyes and shocked silence. I simply crossed my arms and stared straight ahead.

"Now that's being a bitch," I said as I locked eyes with Cade.

"Is she being serious?" Christian finally asked.

Cade couldn't respond. He simply stared at me like he couldn't believe I would have actually gone against something he specifically told me not to do. I got the feeling not many people stood up to him. His fiancé probably just did whatever the fuck he said with a smile on her stupid face.

"Is she your mate?" Christian asked again.

"Unfortunately," Cade ground out.

Christian shook his head like he couldn't believe it.

"Congratulations," he said as he slapped a hand on Cade's shoulder.

Cade instantly shrugged him off. "I have Becca."

Christian's face pulled into a look of deep confusion. "But she's your mate," Christian said slowly.

"This is why I wasn't gonna tell you," Cade said absently. He turned away from me and watched the road as we drove.

"What the hell are you talking about? She's your mate. Not many people get that opportunity."

"I don't want a mate," I pipped in.