Chapter 1 - The School of the Powerful

Prologue

I was just another normal girl until everything changed. I am an only child, and have two normal parents. I have normal friends and I go to a normal school. Then one day I received the letter. That letter changed everything. It explained who I was, and who I will turn out to be. My parents were not who I thought they were. They were different. I was different. I am Different.

Chapter 1:

I took a deep breath and opened the letter. I quickly read the first few sentences of the note.

Congrats! We have decided to offer you a place in the Pittsburg academy of the arts!

“Yay!!” My parents and I shrieked together. “Shay, we are so proud of you!” My parents exclaimed. I was so happy! I was finally accepted to the school of my dreams! All that work seemed to have finally paid off. My parents rudely interrupted my thoughts. “Sweetie, It seems you have another letter.”

“Wait, wait?” I responded questionably. I looked down, and sure enough there was another letter addressed to me. My name was written in perfect calligraphy on special oak tree paper. Who could it be from? I thought. I looked in the left corner of the letter for the return address, but surprisingly, there wasn’t one. I ripped open the note ready for whatever was inside – or so I thought.

Dear Shay Live,

You have been accepted to the School of the Powerful. The new school year starts September 1st. You will be expected to arrive by August 25th.

“Mom? Dad? What is this? Is this some kind of joke?” I said laughing.

“We thought… This is late... No… Not right…” My parents mumbled. “Why so late?” My dad responded finally finishing one sentence. “Shay, we have some explaining to do.” They motioned me to follow them to the living room. My head was spinning.

“Should I or should you?” My dad asked my mom.

“You.” My mom answered.

“Shay, you are gifted.” My dad started. “I was born with powers. Both my parents have powers, so it was not surprising when I was sent this same letter. Your mother, on the other hand, was not born with a special ability. Since you only have one powered parent, there is a half and half chance; you too would be born with powers. If you were special, you would receive this letter as soon as you were entering the 8th grade.”

“But, I am going into –“ My dad interrupted.

“You will understand, let me finish.” He continued. “Your 8th grade year you did not get this letter. So, your mother and I assumed that you were not gifted.  Now, as you are entering the 9th grade year, I am puzzled. No child had ever gotten the letter late, until now. I may as well tell you about the school since you will be going there. The School of the Powerful is a place where you will learn the control and use your power. When you arrive at the school you will learn which of the 4 elements you can control. The elements are earth, water, fire, and air. Sometimes, a special student here and there will have a different power such as light, darkness, healing and so on. No human knows about this school except for a few, and it is impossible to find if you are not “special.” To arrive at the school you whisper “I am Powerful,” and you will be on campus in a matter of seconds. If you are accepted, you do not have a choice whether or not to go. You will soon realize that this school is very different from the schools you are used too.”

My head was full of questions. “How will I master my power? Are you sure this letter isn’t a mistake? You are lying, I know it! What about Pittsburg academy of arts? How do I get there again? Are the classes different?” I said speedily

“Sweetie!” My mom shouted. “Sweetie, you will figure out all of the answers as soon as you arrive. We better start packing.”

~

“Dad! I don’t have any of these things!” I shrieked. I looked down at the packing list for what seems like the hundredth time.

Books:

The History of the Elements By John Worthfull

How to Control…  By Jean Samsdow

Creatures And How to Control Them By Ellen Paige

Magical Items:

1 Cauldron

3 Leather Satchels

1 Fire enlarger, Broken Pebble, Bottle of Wind, or a Droplet of Stream (bring one depending on element)

10 disposable absorbers

“Dad!” I shouted again. “I don’t know what my element is so which of the four element controllers should I bring? Dad? Dad! DAD!”

“Calm down! I’m coming,” he yelled from downstairs.

“Speed it up! I am having a crisis! DAD! DAD! DAD! What is taking so –“

“I’m here, I’m here! Now what is it? He questioned.

“Which should I bring the Fire enlarger, the Broken Pebble, the Bottle of Wind, or a Droplet of Stream? I don’t know my element yet so I don’t know which to bring? Wait, you said the students find out what their power is when they get to the school!” I said accusingly.

“Shay, most kids know they are special from the day they are born. They start showing signs of power from day one. Most kids actually use their power, at age ten or eleven. Plus, most kids know they will be going to the school of the Powerful because their parents tell their children at a very young age. We didn’t tell you because we didn’t want you to get your hopes up, and then turn out not to have powers. Do you understand now? To answer your question, I have all of those items from when I went to the school, and we will bring all 4 of the items. Are you satisfied Ms. Whiney?”

“Ha. Ha. Very funny Mr. Did-Not-Tell-Me-I-Have-Powers! I think we have everything. I can’t believe I am going to the School of the Powerful.”

~

“I’m ready, I think. I think I have everything.” I said surprising myself with my own words.

“You are missing one thing. A goodbye hug!” My mom said cheerfully. “Good luck Shay!” My parents told me.

My dad whispered in my ear. “I know you will do well.”

I smiled at my family. “I am Powerful.” I whispered.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! This is my first book so be nice! :) Also, I know the 1st chapter kinda sucks, but that is because I haven't written in a while... I you read chapter 2 it gets alot better - and chapter 3 gets better too! You see what I mean? I won't be able to write another chapter in two weeks because I will be away! Sorry! :( Hope you enjoyed the first chapter of the School of the powerful! Oh, and by the way here is a question for you all! If you could cast a famous person for Shay, who would it be? My favorite answer will be who I cast for Shay, and I will dedicate it to you! But there has to be at least ten comments! :)