I Alone

CHAPTER 39: I ALONE

The Whitmore Campus

Unfortunately, the anti-magic spell was still upon the town of Mystic Falls, rendering Natalie unable to visit little grown-up Jeremy Gilbert. Luckily, he had a cell phone, making her able to call him and they had a little reunion over the phone. Of course, after being away from each other for months made them want to see each other again face-to-face.

And they decided that jogging was going to be the way to do it. A little brother-sister/cousin-cousin bonding, for once without Elena with them. Still, when she wasn't using her vampire speed, he was quite a bit faster than her with his hunter abilities.

"Seriously, I shouldn't be winning," the teenage boy laughed as he turned back and started jogging backwards as he waited for his older sister to catch up, which would take a few seconds.

"I was dead for four months, give me a break," she narrowed her eyes at him as she punched his arm playfully. It took only a moment with vampire speed and she was ten meters in front of him with a smirk.

He went up into a much higher speed, catching up to the laughing vampire that was looking at him with a mix of smugness and amusement. "That's cheating."

"Says the guy with supernatural hunter gifts," she scoffed, finding the fact that he could accuse her of supernaturally cheating to be absolutely preposterous. "Back in my hunting day, we didn't have those kinds of perks."

"You sound like a little old lady scolding me for being on my phone," he pointed out, an grin on his face. It was a bit because he found the way she was speaking to be funny, but mostly it was because he was so happy she was back. He had missed her a lot, and seeing her back was wonderful beyond imagination.

"Oh, you want me to sound like a scolding old lady?" Natalie asked, raising her eyebrows at him as she copied his earlier move by starting to job backwards right in front of him. "How about I scold you for what Elena has told me you've been doing. The booze, the women. You're starting to sound like Damon."

Jeremy's eyes widened as if she had just told him that while he was drunk he had gone and made out with his grandmother, mistaking her for a hot girl he had a crush on for years or something like that. "Gross."

"Yeah, that better scare you straight," she nodded, as if her mission was complete. "But, I'm kinda wondering what happened. When I talked to Matt, he said that you've just stopped drinking and while I couldn't sleep last night, I had time to come up with a few reasons as to why that could be. First, you could've impregnated a girl and decided you want to be a good dad. That's my number one suspicion. I'm also thinking you could have joined some sort of cult that won't let you drink. That's a good second."

"It's nothing like that. First, his big sister came back from the dead," he smiled as she reached up and ruffled his hair playfully with a long aw emitting from her lips. "Then he canceled Bonnie's cell phone, cried until there was nothing left, and got all the grief out of his system. He is ready to move on."

Natalie's pace slowed down considerably as she realized nobody told him about Bonnie not having found peace like Damon told everyone that they both did. "Has seriously nobody told you yet?"

He stopped jogging, turning to her with a confused look. "Told me what?"

"It's about Bonnie."

▹▹▹

The two siblings had gotten a bit of privacy by sitting by a picnic table, Jeremy sitting on the actual bench while Natalie just placed herself on the table as she looked down at him carefully. She had done her best to explain the important bits of Bonnie's situation, deciding that details weren't that important (the kinds like telling him what exactly Kai had been doing to them before she had gotten out and stuff).