Day 1 to Day 40

• Dedicated to To anyone who knows someone who had cancer, or is going through treatment.

Day 1

Erin walked in school, her ice blond hair was styled in two long braids. They swished as she walked, and I couldn't help but notice how different she looked with her hair in a different style. Not that she noticed me. Or knew that I have had I giant crush on her since I saw her as a freshman three years ago.

'Matt, hey come over here!' my best friend, Sam yelled across the hall. I took one last wistful look at Erin,then jogged over in time for him to show me a video of him skiing over winter break. I laughed as he unsuccessfully tried to jump over a large rock, and ended up with snow up his nose. The bell rang, and we all ran off to class.

Day 2

Erin walked in the doors, and everyone stopped talking. Her silky hair was in a full blown frizzy Afro. My mouth dropped open, along with everyone else's. 

'Dude, she's crazy, they're gonna tear her apart with gossip about  her strange hair-do . It's gonna be insane.'  Sam said as he shook his head. He knew about my slightly stalkerish obsession with her.

I tensed. No one messes with MY girl. Even, you know, she isn't really 'my girl' well, not yet.

Day 9

She continued her strange styles the whole week, from Mohawks to strait hair, from pigtails to giant curls, she did it all. Now it's Monday again. 

She had a fairly normal style, a slick ballerina bun.

'Courage, Matt, you can do this.' Sam patted, more like slapped me, on the back for encouragement. 

'What should I say?'

'I dunno, just keep it cool.'

I took a deep breath and walked over to Erin. She was facing her locker, and she grabbed several books before turning around.

Her bright green eyes stared into my amber ones expectantly. 

'Yes?' 

I froze. My throat constricted and immediately dried up.

'Uhhh..'

'Look, if this is about my hair, then get lost.' She glared up at me.

'No! It's not about that, I don't care about your hair-uh I mean I do but-you can do whatever you want with it..n-n-ot that it's any of my business.' I felt my face flush a deep red.

She chuckled.

'If you want to ask me out, you don't have to be embarrassed.' She said.

Which of course only made me turn redder.

'I'll pick you up Friday at 8:00?' I nervously asked.

She gave me one of her trademark blinding grins; I took that as a yes.

Day 14

I paced around my room. What should I wear? I heard a knock on my door. 

'Son?'

'Come in!'

'Matt, if you pace any longer you will wear a whole through the floor.' He chuckled.

'Dad!'

'If this she really likes you, she won't care what you wear.'

'Wow, Dad, that is very insightful.'

'And your lucky numbers are; 11, 3, and 6.' He said as he finished reading the slip of paper in his pocket from his Chinese lunch. I grinned.

I decided on a black shirt with a slight v-neck and a 3 quarter length sleeves. I put on some dark denim jeans.

I heard a knock on the front door. Erin stood there, looking magnificent in a white skirt and light blue top.

'Woah... You look amazing!'

She blushed a light pink color. 

We didn't talk much on the way to the movies. 

Mid-way through the film, I casually draped my arm over her shoulder. She jumped up and ran out of the theater, her hand pressed against her mouth.

I waited in front of the girl's bathroom.

'Erin? Are you okay?' No answer.

'Erin?!' I yelled a little louder. I heard a crash.

I ran inside and found her sprawled on the floor, barely breathing.

'HELP!!!' I screamed.

Day 30

Erin still hadn't come back from school. I called her everyday, but she never answered. I tried to visit her house, but she never was home.

Day 40

She's back! Her hair was in a strange knotted style, almost like dreadlocks. 

'Erin!'I waved her over. She timidly walked over to me.

'Hey;' She whispered.

'Hi. How are you? What happened?'

'I'm better, but I don't really want to talk about that, if you don't mind.''Yeah, sure, that's cool I just wanted to make sure you were okay.'

She smiled, then gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

'Thanks.' She waved, then walked off to class. I stood there with my hand pressed against my cheek for a long time.

***************************************************************************************************************

I'm doing a brief edit of this story so if some minor details change don't be freaked out.

COMMENT VOTE AND FAN!!!! just press the vote button..... you can do it!