CHAPTER 1

"Just like that?"

His head hung low as he stared down at the steaming plate of steak and asparagus in front of him. "I'm sorry," He whispered, avoiding all eye contact with me. "I don't know. It just feels like our relationship isn't going anywhere..."

I leaned back into my chair, my eyes still glued on him. I could feel the anger starting to boil my blood. No. Oh no. This cannot be happening. Not now. "This is perfect," I said after a moment, giving him a deadly glare. "Breaking up on our three year anniversary. Perfect." I paused, inhaling sharply through my nose. Everything in me wanted to curse him out, drag him through the mud and even barbed wire. I could feel my face starting to heat up, possibly turning crimson by now. Keep your cool. Keep your cool. Keep your cool. "So, how did you come up with this? Did you plan this out, hmm? Did you think it would be perfect to fuck me over today, of all days?"

"Listen, I said I was sorry."

"No- no, you don't get to say that," I snapped. "Say anything but you're sorry."

"Hannie..."

"Don't you dare call me that." I sneered, quickly leaning forward, having my body pressed into the table.

He sighed, looking at the floor and then back up, our eyes meeting. His eyes were wavering slightly as he stared at me, "You... you deserve better. Better than me. I mean it."

I heard enough. I was done with him. I stood from my seat, chucking the napkin into my plate of untouched shrimp alfredo. "It's fine," I raised my voice, "I was probably gonna end up doing this anyway, so thanks for saving me the hassle."

He opened his mouth, ready to spit out more lies, however I was already on my way out of the restaurant. Rage coursed through my veins as I stomped past the hostess and other customers. If we lived in a cartoon show, smoke would be spewing out of my ears at this point.

I shoved the door open and stepped outside, feeling the cool air brush my skin. I needed to calm down. If I didn't, I would probably end up doing something I would regret later. I took a stroll and followed the uneven sidewalk into a back alley, which wrapped around to an empty parking lot.

I stopped and plopped myself down onto the curb, my legs extending out in front of me and fists balled up in my pockets. I shut my eyes, the noise of cars zooming by and overusing their horns infiltrating my ears while an excruciatingly long sigh escaping my lips. The momentary blissfulness was cut short when my fingers brushed against something within my right pocket of my coat. Pulling it out, I dropped it into my lap. A small red, flat box with a delicate white bow wrapped around it lied between my legs. I cautiously undid the bow and opened it. My eyes felt like they were burning as they fixated onto the two strips of paper that lied within. My chest tightened, my breathing becoming erratic and unstable.

It was two front row tickets to see EXO live. I remember working double for these tickets. I waited for hours in line in the excruciating heat for them. I had to deal with several die-hard fans trying to snatch them out of my hands. As I continued to pathetically stare at them, I spotted a tiny piece of paper underneath. I moved the tickets aside and unfolded it.

Happy three years, Joshua. I love you, always and forever.

God, I was a fucking moron.

My fingers latched onto the box in a tight grip, almost turning my knuckles white. Without thinking it twice, I hurled the box as far as I could. I let out a long and heavy breath. That felt good, I decided. No, it felt great. I brushed my fingers through my tousled hair and clasped my hands together, power flowing through me as I walked away. However, I hadn't gotten very far as a voice tore through my thoughts.