Chapter 11 - Birthday Prep

As I enter my house, I still feel as if I'm walking on a cloud. Did that just really happen? Did Brett say that I'm getting a birthday?

I look around, feeling a bit lost about what to do next. I look down and see my elf clothes. Maybe I should change into something else... but what?

I run to my room and open my closet. All I see is a bunch of dressy clothes. I'm not even going to look at the things in my dresser. All I have there are tattered clothes that I use when I'm bumming around the house.

Dark jeans! That's it. They are flattering. I search again and find a cream top and long vest set that my mom got me last year and that I never get to wear. I brush my hair and lose my patience. Who am I kidding?

I hear the ring tone on my phone. Dan's face is flashing on it. I press the button and start the video call.

"Happy birthday Callie!!!" Dan says together with his roommates who then blow horns and throw a bunch of confetti at the camera. "Hey! We said no confetti! Whoever did that, get a broom!" he says, looking around while his roommates howl in laughter. "How are you sweetie?"

I give Dan a run down of my day. Of course, he feels pissed at Evy just like me.

"Tell me about this guy Brett. Why would he want to give you a birthday?" he says, looking a bit concerned.

"He works in the Mall Services department. They do everything from cleaning, repairs and storage. He knows a lot of people around, so I guess that he has been working there for a while. I think he is older than me. I think he just felt pity for me,"

"Do you like him?"

"He is a nice guy. We had an argument at the beginning, but he has been really kind to me afterwards. We talk a lot and he has his own Evy,"

"But do you like-like him?" Dan says with a wicked grin.

"He is a handsome man, and let's leave it at that,"

"Just be careful and enjoy the night. I love you Cal. You are my favorite sister,"

I hang up and the doorbell rings. As I open the door, I see Brett walking back to his car which is parked in front of the house. He opens the back door and gets a bunch of silver balloons filled with helium.

"Hi! Can you hold on to these? I have other stuff to get out of the car,"

I'm just speechless, hanging to a bunch of balloons that happen to have my favorite color. Brett grabs about three big shopping totes from the car trunk. He walks by me and puts them inside next to the door.

"One more thing," he says, sprinting back to the passenger's door and getting out a big pink box.

Once he returns, he walks straight to the dining table and places the box on it.

"I think that I have everything. Forgive me if I forgot a few things. I ordered food for everybody. Chinese should do the trick as there is a bit of everything. Oh shit! I didn't ask you. Maybe you hate it," he says in a quick flow of words.

"Not at all. I love Chinese food,"

"Great! I got some beer, two bottles of wine, big bottles of Coke. Here are some chips and dips, nuts and pretzels. I didn't buy many snacks because of the food. I also got this..." he says opening the pink box.

Inside is a big chocolate cake with white glaze, just like the one I bought for myself. I look at the balloons in my hand, the drinks and the cake.

"Why?" I say, my voice coming out softly.

"What do you mean?" he says while unpacking.

"Why are you doing this for me?"

Brett stops what he is doing and look at me. His mouth opens a bit, but no words come out.

"I'm very grateful. Nobody has ever done something so nice for me," I say, putting the weight of one of the balloons on the floor.

"I... I don't know..." he finally says and looks deep in thought.

"Let me place these around and I will get some bowls for the snacks,"

Brett snaps out of his trance and continues arranging things on the dining table. The doorbell rings and he goes to answer it as I go to pick some serving items. When I come back, Fred is standing in my living room and so are Filipa and Laura.

"A birthday party needs guests," Brett says next to me. "I don't know all your friends, so I got them,"

"They are perfect. Thanks,"

I go and hug each of my now birthday guests. I receive little presents from them, but what they don't know is that their company is my biggest one.

They all take a seat in the living room and Brett and I go to serve drinks. The doorbell rings once more and I look at him.

"That is not the food, but I think that you should open the door this time," he says with a warm smile.

I feel curious and as I open the door, I see Carlos standing outside.

"Hey! What are you doing here?" I say, giving him a hug.

"I was on my way home from the gig when Laura called me to say that your friend was organizing this and wanted to know if I could make it,"

"Well, welcome. Food still needs to come, but let me get you a drink,"

Carlos goes to join the other people and I see Brett coming from the kitchen with a corkscrew in his hands.

"Your mom's kitchen is really well stocked!"

"So you invited Carlos,"

"Of course, he is your friend. He needed to be here. I wanted to get your brother, but it was difficult to arrange a flight so quick,"

I don't know what gets into me, but I give him a bone breaking hug. He laughs hard.

"I hear the bell. I'll be right back,"

I bring the drinks to the crowd that is chatting comfortably, and smile at the sight of Filipa seating next to Fred.

"What the fuck are you talking 'bout? Do I look like a delivery guy to you? I'm K-Ink!"

Oh no!