Chapter 9

Friday finally came and I was walking through the door with Jenna when I tripped and fell on the floor. Jenna started cracking up.

"Oh my god that was fucking hilarious! Do it again!" She laughed and I glared at her.

"Shut up." I snapped pulling myself up and walking into my room throwing my bag on the floor.

"Calli!" Jenna yelled. I was changing into sweatpants.

"Yeah?" I questioned.

"You're coming downtown with me! Get ready!" I pulled my sweatpants back down at her reply and put my jeans back on. I stomped out of my room, stopping at the end of the hallway to Jenna on the phone.

"Why are you calling me?" Her tone and attitude were cold. "I don't fucking care what you want. Fuck you."

She hung up angrily and I wondered who was on the other line that caused so much trouble. I walked out into the living room and Jenna's head snapped up from her phone.

"Alright let's go. We're not taking the car." I followed behind her out the door. It had been a nice day so far, the sky blue and clear with the bright sun emitting extreme heat. In Florida, we have warmer weather of course but we still have those oh so unholy chilly days.

"What do we have to get downtown?" I asked her as we walked along the fence that separated us from a few alleys and an old park that isn't even used anymore, except for meeting spots.

"Well I figured you could hang with your bro and Zayn while I meet up with some friends." Of course she wasn't planning on keeping me around the whole time.

"Oh. Okay." I muttered watching my feet. I felt Jenna's eyes on me.

"You know watching your feet while you walk isn't gonna do you any good. If you're too focused on where you're stepping, you have no idea what's in front of you or behind you. That's how you get killed around here." She explained and I looked up at her.

"Thanks..." I muttered.

When we got into town, Jenna stopped us at a party store. We walked in and she immediately went to the back and grabbed a Monster. "You want anything Payne? I think the boys have stuff at the shop but knowing them its probably only coke and beer."

"I'll have a Monster." I said grabbing one out of the fridge. We headed up the aisle to the counter and Jenna grabbed a bag of Doritos on the way. No one was at the counter.

"Anyone back there?!" Jenna screamed. I looked around and a man came out of the back door and went up to the counter.

"How are you girls today?" He asked checking out our items.

"We're fine thank you." Jenna answered.

"Are you excited for the festival coming up?" He questioned us motioning towards the flyer on the cash register. I almost forgot about that. Even though flyers are all over school.

"Yeah. Hopefully the prices for a funnel cake will be lower." She laughed.

"I doubt they will be. Ok ladies, that will be $6.32." Jenna handed him the exact change, grabbed her bag, and walked away. "Have a nice day." The man sighed.

"You too." We walked out and started for the auto shop.

We were about half way to the shop and no one said a word, it was all awkward silence. I decided to break the tension. "Thank you for the Monster Jenna."

She just nodded her head and took a long drag of her cigarette, "Want some?" She motioned her cigarette to me.

"No thank you." I shook my head. I kind of wanted to though, I mean I've never smoked or anything and Liam would kill me if I did. He always says he doesn't want me doing anything bad or hanging out with the wrong people because he wants me to have a "future", whatever that means. I mean everyone has a future, it's just the way you live it that you can do anything about.