chapter 34

chapter 34

            The marble walls of the ladies’ restroom echoed every sound, from the unzipping of her jacket and the rustle of fabric as she turned it inside out, to the scrape of her scarf as she fashioned it into a red head-covering. Lucky stared at her face in the mirror, wondering what else she could do to try to look different. She couldn’t disguise her height or general shape, could she? No, the best chance was what she and the guys had decided: slip into the restroom, change as many colors as possible by rearranging clothing, then wait for a cluster of people to walk out with, hoping to confuse whoever was watching them all. At least, it was a chance.

            She pulled out her cell phone. Almost four-thirty. That explained why there weren’t many people coming into the restroom.  Still, there must be some leaving offices about now, right? She scrolled quickly through the newest text messages: Michelle, all OK, Lucky’s dad safe at Michelle’s mother’s house. Michelle, headed to Bear Pond Books. Sandy, tag-teaming with Lucky’s mom to set up for tomorrow’s author event. Michelle, now with Sandy. Jon from Michelle’s mother’s house, asking if there was anything he could do to help from there. Lucky thumbed a quick reply to him: “Need second bullet-prf vest for tmrw. Can you get?”

            Two women, talking with each other, came into the restroom. Lucky leaned forward to the mirror and pulled one eyelid down, as if she’d been standing there trying to get something out of her eye. The women glanced at her and one said “hi” as both of them entered the stalls. Lucky pulled her wallet out and pretended to check the coins in it. With an apology, she managed to exit the restroom wedged between the two women, figuring it was the best way to “hide in plain sight.” She kept close to them as they left the building through the side door, and a lock clicked behind them. Closing time.

            Both women moved toward the parking lot. Lucky leaned against the outer wall of the State House as if she were waiting for a ride to arrive, and pressed herself as flat as she could. The sharp wind tore at her face.

            After the women climbed into cars and headed away from her, Lucky headed around the back of the building. Mounds of snow that had slid from the roofs made walking a challenge, but snug against the granite walls a narrow pathway gave room for her boots. The phone in her pocket vibrated, and repeated.

            Without stopping her behind-the-building scuttling, Lucky checked the phone. Roger: The guys were already at the governor’s office building. Maybe they’d been able to find a group of men to walk out with, sooner than Lucky’s end of the plan. She signaled that she was on her way. Then she stripped off both gloves so she could type better, and reminded Michelle about placing the ad into the next morning’s paper: “Thriller Author Reveals Next Book, Probes Capital-City Pot Plans, Bear Pond Books, Today, 7 PM.”

            Icy snow-pellets struck Lucky’s face. Mixed with them came splashes of cold rain. She groaned. Classic November weather for Vermont, but dangerous anyway. Power lines could snap if the ice on them added up; tree limbs would tumble under the weight, too. Meanwhile her inside-out coat wasn’t helping much, and rain slid down her neck.

            She pushed against a door at the rear of the governor’s office building. Locked. Of course. “Need door open at rear” she texted to Roger. Three long minutes later she spotted another door being pushed open from within. She scooted along the glass and steel façade, hoping nobody had stayed late in their offices. Probably they’d call the police if they saw her.

            Inside at last, she shed her dripping coat and scarf and laid them on a vinyl-seated chair in the hallway. She gestured to Roger and Jake to do the same – easier to maneuver here without bulky winter gear. She pressed a finger to her lips, and both of the guys nodded. Whatever was going on here, the quieter they could be, the better.