Chapter Six

Nate was afraid to make any sudden movements. He felt like if he did, Sophie would bolt and speed away from him. He kept his touch on her waist light, walked an arm-length's distance away from her even though all he wanted to do as they rode up the elevator was push her back against the wall and press his body to hers. His shoulders ached from the effort it took to keep from grabbing her. His muscles were tense, his skin hot with desire, and his blood pounded in his veins.

They were quiet as she fished her keys from her bag and unlocked her door. Her place was a decent size for someone who lived near downtown Los Angeles, and she'd managed to make the small space look cozy and inviting while clean and uncluttered.

He turned to her just as she was slipping out of his jacket. He had never thought shoulders were sexy up until he'd seen her in that dress, all curves and so beautiful he could barely breathe. Nate had never had a problem with women. His notorious reputation hadn't materialized out of nowhere, and he'd gone to Vegas and bachelor parties, and he was even ashamed to admit he'd been to a few strip joints. But nothing was sexier than watching Sophie slip out of his blazer like that, the graceful movements of her arms, the flirty shrug of her shoulders.

She held the jacket with an outstretched hand, her vivid blue eyes wide and searching as she tilted her head back. Nate couldn't take it anymore. He'd spent all evening fighting the urge to touch her, to drag her onto his lap, to wrap his arm around her and her legs around his waist. He was done with resisting.

The distance between them was gone in two strides. He wrapped one arm around her back, and cupped her head with his other hand. Her lips parted with a gasp, and he tilted her head back and covered her mouth with his.

The moment their lips touched, he sucked in his breath and groaned. The next few seconds were a blur to him. A strangled sound came from her throat as he took his fill of her, tasting the inside of her mouth, played with her tongue. She was so sweet, her lips soft and plump. It was like how he'd imagined it, only better. He couldn't hold her close enough, he wanted to diminish every inch between them, to feel all of her against all of him. Her breasts pressed against his chest, her hips meeting his. He couldn't help urging himself against her, rubbing his thickening erection against her belly. Too many layers between them, so many clothes. His fingers gripped at the back of her dress. Would she be angry of he ripped it? He doubted she would mind. It was all for the greater good-

As if she read what he was thinking, she pulled back. Nate reached for her with a frustrated moan, and she laughed, which made his body grow even tighter. "Sophie," he warned. He gripped her by the waist, even as she tugged on his hands and nodded toward the hallway.

"My bedroom's over there." Her voice was low and hoarse.

"Too far." He grabbed her hips and, in one easy move, lifted her up until her legs wrapped around his waist. She gasped when her back hit the wall. His hands smoothed over the curve of her bottom and squeezed. Oh yea, that was definitely a runner's ass.

"We left your jacket on-"

"Don't care," he growled. Then he was kissing her again, silencing any words she would have said just to stall the inevitable. He was finished with the flirting. Now he wanted to play.

His erection fit perfectly between her legs, and Nate lost control of his body. He palmed the length of her torso with one hand. His fingers brushed against the side of her breast and she gave a sigh. An electrical jolt shot through his body. He rested his hand against the safety zone of her rib cage, but to his surprise, she grabbed his wrist and brought his fingers to her breast. Not one to disappoint, he cupped her flesh, ran his thumb back and forth over the peak, letting the hardened pebble catch under his knuckle. She jerked against him, and he did it again. He moved to her other breast and enjoyed her reaction as he continued to play with her. Her lips were parted, and she was having trouble breathing.