Chapter Five

She shivered inwardly for his eyes, in their languid measure of study as they trailed over her, seemed the most startling feature. She had never seen such compelling amber eyes with their uncanny coloration of gold as if all the sun's magnificent luster shown from the iris's of one man.

Alana tilted her chin, determined not to be wavered by such an alluring stare. He had a commanding presence about him, an aura of power that was clearly unmistakable. His golden eyes seemed to unravel her composure and that alone was enough to make her uneasy. She was not one to be easily unraveled.

Her eyes hardened, "It would be wise of you, Sir, to keep your obscenities to yourself."

His eyes danced with a glint of amusement as his perfectly sculpted mouth titled at the corners into a devilish grin. "My apologies milady, I shall attempt to damper my notions."

She eyed him suspiciously, not quite convinced of the sincerity behind his words. Lynette and Rowan's voices clashed in union within her head, warning her that she had made a mistake in bringing this man to their village. Had she truly put her village in danger because of this one man? But what of this one man did she know?

"I would have your word, Sir that you do not intend neither me nor anyone of this village harm?"

His gold eyes intensified with a compressed anger but just as quickly as it appeared it vanished. Had she offended him? "I give you my word."

His compliance came without difficulty and that made her cautious. Though she had argued with Lynette and Rowan about him being Norman, he was nonetheless her enemy and she had to remain vigilant.

She was silent a moment as she weighed his vow thoughtfully. "Do you feel any pain?" she cleared her throat as she crossed the cottage to prepare some broth. She was very much aware of his eyes boring into her back and she couldn't seem to keep her hands from trembling as she reached for a clay pot.

"Why do you do this?"

Alana turned and felt her heart flutter against her breast. His eyes gleamed like burnished warmth, giving her the impression of a fierce lion with his tawny mane and fixed golden stare. "What do you mean?"

"Why do you help me, knowing what I am?"

"What are you other than a man injured at the moment? I am a healer of my people and I have the ability to restore you, and I intend to do so, whether you are enemy or ally." She paused a moment and added, "You gave me your word that you intend me no harm. I trust in that."

His eyes regarded her with a hint of disbelief. "How can you put so much faith unto me when you know naught of this Norman?"

"Have I a need to be wary of you, Norman?"

He felt a grin tugging at his mouth as he surveyed her amusingly. Despite her delicate size, she had the fiery nature of a man his size and he found himself utterly enthralled by her. "No, fiery one, you need not fear me."

She eyed him for another moment before turning back to her tasks. He found pleasure in watching her, captivated by her lithe movements and agile steps.

She crossed the room and knelt to gather a bundle of bandages. She stood and their eyes met and for a moment she hesitated, her thoughts turning before she finally started towards him.

As she grew closer, Fallon was suddenly struck in awe by the distinguishing shade of green that surveyed him from beneath thick, black lashes. Her eyes were an extraordinary combination of gray tinged with a yellowish green and the more he studied her, the more he seemed mesmerized by her.