Chapter Four

"Isn't there someone else besides me? I don't want to be the blood-sucking Queen. Let someone else be Queen of the Underworld."

Akil quirked an eyebrow. He was probably surprised that I didn't explode in rage again. He even seemed satisfied that I may actually be beginning to accept the fact that I was a vampire. No, I wasn't accepting it. I just wanted to be left out of his crazy fictional story. There was no need to involve me whatsoever.

"Your father is a very strong Liege. However, he fled his clan in order to pursue his dream of dominating all species.You're the only one of your bloodline to take charge. I cannot handle all of the work on my own much longer. Besides, your people have been awaiting you arrival for years now."

I shook my head stubbornly. "No, find someone else.I'm the wrong person. You confused me with some other blood-sucker."

"Lexi, it does not work that way. I do not make mistakes in my work. You are the right person, everyone here knows it and they have known this for years."

"And I'm supposed to accept the idea that you killed my mom and took me from my home just to be some vampire Queen? It does not work that way," I threw those words back at him. "Take me back right now."

"Yes, I do expect you to believe everything I have told you because it is all the truth. I understand that it will take you a while to completely accept who you are and I am willing to wait for however long that may take."

"I'm not going to do that, are you nuts? Once you unchain me, I'm going to kill all of you and find my way back! I will not be held down here under my will!"

"Lexi you can't just –"

I gasped and muttered to myself in sudden realization."Oh God, everyone must be so worried! Stephanie is probably freaking out right now because I left her at that dumb party. It must be like I disappeared off of the face of the planet! Ah hell! I bet the police are doing search missions right about now. This must be on the news!" There weren't many people who I was close with but that didn't mean that nobody knew I was missing.

"The police will not find you and neither will your friend. The sooner you learn this, the better." Akil barked. My thoughts were obviously starting to annoy him because he couldn't care less about my human life. What was I thinking? I was human!He was just trying to brainwash me into thinking that I wasn't.

Inside, I broke a little. Being told that there was no hope for you was shattering. I didn't think I could take the hurt and emotional trauma much longer. Sooner or latter, I was going to faint or be sick. What happened to my normal life? I'd much rather be at home wondering what I should do with my life rather than being taken from it and forced to do something I don't want to do.

My heart ached and my throat constricted as I felt anew wave of tears making its way through my system. Wait, did vampires have hearts? Were their organs dead or were they still working? Wouldn't that make vampires a type of zombie?

Someone laughed and my head instinctively jerked up to located where the sound came from. It was from a man leaning in the doorway. I hadn't even noticed the light fill the room or an approaching enemy. I guess I was too caught up in my misery and the millions of questions that needed to be answered.

This man seemed to stand comfortably but I saw a slight waver of his hands. Was he nervous? Why would he be nervous?Shouldn't I be the nervous one? I couldn't clearly see his face just as I couldn't see Melanie's but I honestly didn't care much about who came through that door anymore. Unless it was the police, I wasn't going to be happy about it.

Akil turned away from me to greet the mysterious man. I was expecting him to shoot the man down much like he did to Melanie earlier, but he grinned and embraced the visitor in a friendly manner. I didn't quite understand why he was so rude to Melanie and then so friendly with this guy. Maybe Akil didn't like women having power. So I really was being turned into a slave and this man was who I was being sold to.