Chapter Four

Yawning and stretching my body out I could feel and hear the cracking in my bones. Something behind me squawked indignantly.

                “Sorry Zeph.” I muttered, leaning foreword so I wouldn’t squish my poor little dragon. I turned around and yelped backing away. “Zephryos you grew!” I yelled.

                Obviously. He muttered. Now stop yelling and screeching. You’re hurting my ears. He curled his now five foot eight long body.

                “You were two feet long.” I whispered. “You were the size of a kitten. You were tiny…”

                We were in the building for nearly two weeks. Zephryos said crossly. Not that you noticed.

                “Two….” I put my head to my knees. Two weeks had flown by? Two weeks I had spent in a chair? “We were in there for a few hours.” I told him. “It couldn’t have been weeks.”

                You are being naïve. Time flows differently among the Fae. The Queen is one of the single most powerful creatures in the world. She can make someone nearly immortal just by spending time with them because of the amount of magic she has. She has planned everything out to the T. She has been planning for centuries upon centuries. Do not take her grace and beauty to mean she is a good person. Zephryos walked over to me. He was the size of a husky now, his crest adding and extra few inches to his height. The wings that had hung useless on his back were stretched out, and looked particularly fabulous, the golden gossamer giving his dark body coloring that extra something. They looked quite muscular now as well; perhaps even enough to carry him in flight.

                “You know Zeph, you look absolutely beautiful right now.” I told him frankly. His tongue came out like a lizards, licking his lips.

                I am not beautiful. A Queen is beautiful. I am handsome, or magnificent. Do not repeat the insult. He said haughtily. I arched an eyebrow at him.

                “The next insult would be to state that for all you are a king, you don’t even have a queen. Sucks to be you huh?” I snapped at him. I didn’t like his attitude one bit.

                He rubbed his scaly head against my leg affectionately, and began running to the clearing that I could just barely see through the trees. When he got to the spot where he could see the sky he leaped, his wings snapping open in a brilliant display.

                The rest of the show however was not quite so graceful. For all he was a dragon he needed to learn to fly, and such things took time. He was ungainly in his flight, and looked as though he would drop to the ground at any minute.

                My stomach reminded me though that I hadn’t eaten in two weeks, and this was not ok. I started scavenging around the little meadow/clearing for some form of plant that I recognized as edible. I found one large type of berry that had no adverse effects on me and started munching away on those.

                Out here I didn’t worry about my murdering family, or the strange council. But in this strange moment of quiet, I reviewed everything that had happened in this last month.

                Zephryos had finally hatched. I was still in disbelief. I had met a mythical council, and I didn’t know how to react. I’d seen much stranger, much more dangerous people out on the streets of New York. I’d learned from years of experience that there were worse things than death. This council was nothing compared to the blizzard I’d endured three years ago that shut down the entire city.