Chapter 8

I made sure that the door was locked. I swiftly opened my nightstand drawer and searched through it until I found was I was looking for. Elizabeth's business card.

I dialed the number with shaking hands and pressed the “call” button. It started to ring and I crossed my fingers, hoping she would answer. She was the only one who could comfort me now. She was the only one who knew every detail of my story. She knew the position I was in, and how scared I was.

“Hello.”

“Elizabeth! Is that you?!,” I asked, and almost started to cry when I got it confirmed.

“Thank God! It's me Amber! Amber Carter!” It felt weird to say my last name, we knew each other by now, but I did it just in case.

“Hello Amber, how are you?”

“I need your help! I..I..I,” the words wouldn't leave my mouth.

“Are you okay?,” she asked, and I could picture in my mind how her face changed. How she switched into the caring Elizabeth that always became worried when I wasn't feeling well.

“Yes. I mean NO! I'm really scared actually!” I tried my hardest to keep my voice steady so she could at least have a chance to understand me.

I explained about the text I'd gotten and asked her what to do.

“Amber, just stay calm. I bet it's nothing serious, even though I understand that you're scared. Look, I've finished work for today, we can meet and talk about it if you'd like,” she said and tried to calm me down. She was right, I shouldn't be reacting so strong to this. But since I got raped, I've been afraid of meeting new people. I don't trust anyone, can't look that many people in the eyes, can't sleep at night because I feel like the creep is watching me in some way. I know he's out there. He's still free. Who knows, maybe he's looking for me. Maybe he's the one that sent me that text. Maybe he knows where I live. Maybe he's coming here.

“I don't know if I can do that Elizabeth,” I said and kept throwing glances at the door, just waiting for knocks on it.

“Are you afraid of leaving the flat?” Elizabeth asked. I nodded, and realized that she couldn't see me over the phone.

“Yes, I am.”

She became quiet for a while. I wondered if she had hung up. I was just about to hang up myself when she finally spoke.

“Okay, Amber where do you live?”

About fifteen minutes later, I heard a knock on the door. I froze as I sat there in the sofa. I slowly walked to it and looked who it was before opening.

“Thank God you're here,” I said and let Elizabeth in.

“Of course sweetheart. Are you feeling better?” I nodded.

It always made me surprised when Elizabeth wrapped her arms around me. I hadn't really thought that therapists did that to the ones they were helping. But since Elizabeth knew about my relationship with my mother, maybe she knew that I needed every embrace I could get.

Because I did need them.

Moments later, I was sat in Elizabeth's car, with a bag on the floor next to my feet, that contained my pajamas, fresh clothes and a toothbrush, on my way to her house.

“Elizabeth, you don't have to do this,” I said and turned my head to look at her. I searched for a sign that said that she agreed, that she didn't want to help me. But I didn't find that. She looked as happy as usual and those brown eyes of hers looked so calm and reliable.

“I know, Amber. But I want to help you,” she smiled at me, and it made feel a wee better.

I still wondered why she helps me THIS much. I mean, she actually let's me stay at her house because I'm to scared to stay at my own flat. What therapist would do that? Others wouldn't even come home to me in the first place. I doubt that she does this with everyone, that would take all her time. Why me? Someday I'll have to ask her that.

We pulled up at the driveway outside the house. I could feel my chin drop slightly. It was absolutely gorgeous. It had two floors, a beautiful white color that made it look even bigger, lots of bushes and flowers and green grass that made it's way to the back of the house. I wondered what was hiding back there.

“Let's get you inside,” Elizabeth said and took my bag and started walking up the stairs to the front door.

When we entered the house, I was completely blown away. It looked like one of those houses you only see on television, but not in real life. The first thing I saw was the stair that lead up to the second floor. The walls were painted in a beautiful white color and had a pattern that you only saw in a certain light. To the right was the entrance to the living room, and to the right the kitchen. I didn't dare to move, afraid that I'd break something. I guess it showed.

“Don't be shy, Amber. Make yourself at home!” Elizabeth said while she took off her jacket and placed it on the coat hanger.

I gave her a smile and took my jacket off as well, placing it next to hers.

I followed her down a small hallway that was going to take me to their guest room.

“I'm really sorry for intruding like this, on a Friday night and everything..” I began, but got cut off right away.

“Stop! Amber, I want you to feel more than welcome here. Because you are. No one stays in this room anyway, and we always like having guests here.” she gently patted me on the shoulder. This whole situation was kind of absurd. Everything just because of a text message, that didn't seem that serious to me anymore. Maybe someone sent it to the wrong person, or whatever. But I couldn't turn Elizabeth down by just rejecting this amazing and generous offer. By the way, I did love her house...

Please Vote and Comment ;)