5

I honestly had no idea where I was going. It was a cool Saturday morning, the warmest day we've had since December had begun.

With nothing to do for the day, I grabbed my keys and went for a drive. The dirt road that had been so dark a few nights ago was now only shaded just a little by the trees. This time I was going the speed limit, not in a hurry to be anywhere. It was nice, but also frustrating. I hated not going anywhere, or having nothing to do. It was boring.

My lips turned down into a frown when I saw where I had hit the wolf, and my heart panged. The blood had soaked in the hard dirt, dying it a dark brown until the next rain hit. I looked up at the crack in the windshield, thinking about the accident, and the attack in the woods. Even though the wolves had hurt me, I still felt a soft spot in my heart. Not so much for the white one, but mostly for the darker-coated wolf. Its eyes, so warm and innocent... I sighed. I was so confused and in turmoil with how I felt.

At least my arm felt better. This morning when I woke up, the puffiness had gone down, so now I was just stuck with multiple thick, white lines scarring the top layer of my skin. It felt like a new limb, almost. I was astounded by how quickly it had healed.

I rounded the corner and shot onto the highway. My family and I lived out of the way of the city. They wanted me to grow up in a quiet, humble environment. That was hard to achieve, though, with five sisters. But we still loved the city, so they decided on a place not too far out of the way, but still not in the path of the crazy city-goers. I loved where I lived. It was an extravagant home, built in the early 1950's. I just never realized that there were wolves in the woods. Until now.

A shrill ringing echoed throughout my car and it took me a few seconds to realize it was my cell phone. Pulling over to the shoulder of the highway, I searched through my bag until I found it.

"Hello?"

"Delilah!" Naomi greeted on the other line.

I groaned into the receiver. "Hey, what's up?"

"Are you doing anything right now?" I could hear faint voices in the background of the phone.

"Not really. Just driving." I tapped my fingers on the leather steering wheel. "Do you need something?"

"No! I just was wondering if you'd come meet me at the Krazy Kafe. My brother ditched me here so he could hang out with his posse--I mean friends."

I put my turn signal on and looked behind my shoulder, about to head onto the road again. "Sure, be there in a minute."

"Bye!"

I slid my thumb across the screen, ending the call, and tossed it in the passenger seat. Naomi always had to call me while I was driving. It was kind of annoying.

Fifteen minutes later, I arrived at the cafe. An uneasy feeling fluttered through my stomach as I gazed in through the front windows. There were a ton of people inside, either lounging in the plush leather couches or dancing to the upbeat pop music they always had blasting in there, so loud you could barely hear yourself when you talked. Because of that, you just write your order on a sheet of paper they give you. I groaned. Why did I agree to this? I slammed my head on the steering wheel, frustrated by my social anxiety. I was an idiot.