24: Athena

The door clattered shut behind her, but Athena didn't bother waiting for Jax or his companion. She was too keyed up - running on too little sleep and too much information was starting to wear on her. If she could only make it through a couple more hours, Athena could slip away and find a bed. Hopefully.

"Wait up!" Jax called from behind her, his footsteps echoing in the empty hallway.

Sighing, Athena stopped, leaning one shoulder against the wall while she waited for him. Jax eventually walked up, his hands stuffed deep in his pockets. Athena was briefly caught off guard by his expression - a mixture of frustration and sadness. Before she could ask, he noticed her watching. His face went blank.

"What do you need to show me?" He asked, looking away from her.

"Uh - where's Grace?" Athena murmured, trying to look around him for the icy blonde.

"She said she had other things to do beside chase us around." Jax shrugged.

"Huh. Well, I wanted to show you our training room since you've mentioned your apparent knack for fighting, but that can wait for tomorrow." Athena sighed, her previous anxiety rearing its ugly head. She suddenly couldn't look him in the eye.

"What wrong?" Jax said immediately, his eyes narrowed on her.

Athena flinched, remembering Grayson's previous elation over the latest information from the castle. She had celebrated with him at the time, but reflecting on it made her feel guilty. But then, Grayson hadn't given up everything to save her.

"The King made an announcement today..." Athena whispered, the words getting stuck in her throat.

She watched as Jax's face grew stony, his eyes slits of anger. She'd never seen him look so disgusted at the mention of something.

"And?" he prompted when she didn't continue.

"They held your funeral yesterday..." Athena forced out, closing her eyes when pain flashed briefly across his face. "The King has announced that his son, the crown prince Jackson, was executed for treason. Because of his son's action, the messiah was able to escape. He said no one was above the law - least of all a prince."

When Jax didn't say anything, Athena slowly opened her eyes. His expression was unreadable. She couldn't tell if he was upset by his father's actions, or if he really didn't care. Athena couldn't imagine having a father so cruel - her own father had been a kind metalworker who'd loved his children greatly.

"...Are you okay?" She asked, hesitantly.

"Yeah." Jax sighed, "If you knew my father, you wouldn't be surprised."

Athena watched as Jax ran his hands over his face. He was taking the news better than she expected - considering his father had used him as a political platform to further his reign.

"I know your father's wrath better than you think." Athena whispered. Turning she began walking again, trying to ignore the look of pity she'd seen flash in his eyes. "Come on, loser - I know where the showers are. We could both use one."

"Together?" Jax teased, the usual humor back in his tone.

"Ew - you wish." Athena replied, rolling her eyes as a blush crept up her cheeks.

Φ

The blood was everywhere. It coated her skin, hot and sticky between her fingers as she tried to pick up the gun. But she couldn't get a grip - it kept slipping through her fingers, clattering to the floor with each failed attempt. She could hear their footsteps. Incessant pounding that mirrored her heartbeat, reminding her she didn't have much time left.