Chapter 3 ~ The Audition Part of the Audition

My palms were sweaty.  My heart was pounding.  My breathing, rapid.  Me, jittery and nervous.  I. . . couldn't do it.  Not in front of everyone.  Well, everyone in Glee Club, at least.  More to the point, not in front of Finn and Shuester and Santana, God forbid.

But I had to do it if I wanted to be in Glee.  Wait a second, I never said I wanted to be in Glee.  Puck told me I had to audition because he wanted me in it.  This is all his fault!  But I was already here, what did I have to lose?

Well, my pride for one thing.  And that was pretty big.  Plus, I didn't want to make a big fool of myself on my first day.  I thought I'd save that until, at least, tomorrow.

Oh, jeez.  Aw, crap.  The piano-playing old dude whose name has completely slipped my mind had started playing.  So has that guy playing the drums.  And the kid in the wheelchair is jamming out on the guitar. 

And, AW SHIT!  I missed my cue, I've been so busy thinking to myself.  And now Puck is just staring at me.  I think he's mad.  I made him seem like a fool!  Nice going, me.  I thought we discussed this!?

And, great!  I just realized that the piano dude and everyone had started up again and I had missed my cue again.  Well, nice going Layla.  You're now a complete idiot.  And, yup!  Puck is definitely glaring now.  He trusted you!

Wow, I seriously need psychiatry.  Or therapy.  Or both.  Whatever!  All I know is I need help.  And a second chance, er, third chance, from everyone.  Nope, make that a fourth chance.

And Schuester is definitely disappointed in you and-

"Um, Layla?  Are you okay?"

My thoughts were interrupted by Finn, who waved his hand in front of my face.  It looked on the outside that I was staring at Puck.  When in fact, I had been thinking, my gaze in that direction longer than Puck had been standing there.  I was, by no means, diliberately staring at Puck.  He just walked in my way.

But I simply waved him off.  "Of course I'm fine, Finnster!"

My first day and I had already given him a nickname.  I had gotten it from Puck, who said it bothered him.  And he was right.  It just, for some weird reason, didn't seem to bother him whenever I said it.  Just when everyone else did.

Strange, I know.

He smiled, though, and nodded.  He was sitting at the drum set, ready to play the song, once everyone had finally come in.  So far, we were only missing Santana, Rachel, Brittany, and Puck.

Finally, Santana being the last one in (big shocker there!), everyone was gathered.

"Okay guys," Mr. Schue announced, "I think you've all met Layla Montgomery.  She's new here and wants to audition for the club.  I told her she could, but on one condition.  She had to audition like the rest of you."

"I didn't have to audition, Schuester," Lauren called out. 

"Well," Schue corrected, "like most of you had to."  He cleared his throat before continuing.  "So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you, Layla Montgomery!"

Brad (The piano dude.  I finally remembered his name!) began to play.  So did some guy on the guitar and Finn on the drums.

I started to sing.

It ain't complicated.

Well, I've grown to hate it.

Never liked the taste of crow but baby I ate it.

They tried to warn me.

They said that you were ornery.

So don't bring me those big brown eyes and tell me that you're sorry...

I kept on going.  I grew less and less tense and relaxed a little more into the song.  Pretty soon, other people, like Mercedes and Kurt and even Rachel, were singing along.  We weere dancing and having a good time.  And pretty soon the song was ending too early.

Well it's what you do.

It's who you are...

There was a round of applause from everyone except from Santana.

"So, all in favor of letting Layla in the club?" Mr. Schuester asked, raising his hand.  Every one except for, you guessed it, Santana, rose their hand.  "All opposed?"  And I'm guessing you're not too thick and you know what I'm getting at here.

But since only one person disagreed, I was finally admitted into the club!

I sat in a seat in-between Puck and Finn.  They both leaned down and congratulated me.  I smiled and thanked them back, but couldn't help but notice the ugly glares they gave to each other afterwards.

After the meeting, I walked into Mr. Schuester's office.  "Hey," I greeted, making it as friendly as humanly possible.

He smiled in return, but rose an eyebrow, asking what I was here for.

"I just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to join," I replied to the look.  "So, thank you!"  I started to walk out the door but Mr. Schue started talking.

"You really are amazing, Layla," he said grinning.  "You even give Rachel a run for her money!  And that is saying something."

I chuckled and he continued.  "You are a genuinely good person, I have come to realize.  And I'm glad to have you in the club.  I think you're what we've been waiting for.  I think you're what we really need to win this time."

I smiled and he returned it.  "Thank you," I replied sincerely.  "You don't know how much that means to me."

He smiled back and released me to go to class.

I hurriedly caught up to Puck in an even better mood than I was before.  Mr. Schuester had basically just said that she was their secret weapon!

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey, so what d'ya think?  Tell!  And also, if you want, tell me the name of the song that Layla sung and who the band is.  If you do,  you will be the owner of a brand new, used car! JK!!! But seriously, tell me!! I want to see how many people listen to the same chiz I do. . .

The rockingest author ever,

Aleia :]