Chapter 1

"I SWEAR Kate," Came a shout from downstairs, "Shut that damn horse UP!" It obviously belonged to her uncle, John. Kate and John didn't meet eyes often, meaning they didn't really get along. When it comes to Athena, an arrgunment almost always arises. The only reason he didn't get rid of Athena, and her sire and dam, was because it was in her parents' will for Kate to keep them.   And due to her being considered a minor at age 17, she had to stay with her Uncle John.  Kate still wished that her parents were still alive, since life would be so much better. When Kate was 5, her and her parents went to a rodeo. There was a man in the stands with a gun, and by halftime, he whipped out the weapon and started firing it randomly in the stands. Twenty-nine people were killed. Kate's parents were two of the twenty-nine. Every time the image of the man jumping up and holding that silver gun, firing into the stands, eyes bloodshot and crazy; she can't help but cry. It was a nightmare she was still reliving, so waking up to the rucus was pretty much a relief.

  'Oh my God, it's almost 2 AM, what the hell is wrong now,' Kate thought, and could hear it too, though she was half asleep. Loud thuds of thrashing hooves and shrill screams came from outside, recognized to be her 5 year old bay Morgan, Athena.

  "OR I'LL SHOOT 'ER!" Followed, as Kate heard John jump out of bed, making his way down the hall. Kate's eyes shot wide open and soared out of her bed, wearing a tanktop and spandex. She sprinted down the hall after him, and was just in time before he grabbed his shotgun and coat.
"Wait! John!" She held his arm in protest, "Let me handle her!"                                                                        John gave a frusterated sigh, and gave her a sidways glance. "Fine, but if she doesn't calm down, I'll be out there dealing with it," he mumbled. He shook off her arm and wheeled around to head to back to bed. Kate sighed. 'That was close.' Kate knew why her horse was acting up, and tightened her jaw ... It was because Athena had seen Death, a black mustang who is known for stealing any and every mare he sees and smells. This time, after taking most of the mares in the Nevadan Valley... He was after her Athena.

  Kate didn't tell anyone that Athena was his next victim, and she wasn't planning on it either. Part of the reason was, that if she told them her plan on keeping Athena safe, they'd think she was crazy.        When Kate walked out the door, she immediately spotted two sets of emerald beads; eyes that were reflected off of the light coming from the house. One set beonged to a frightened Athena, who was running around her corral. The other was unmoving, and starring straight at her from the paddocks rails.  Kate's muscles tensed, her heart-beat quickened, eyes narrowed, fists clenched... Next thing she knew, the eyes disappeared as the figure wheeled around and took off for the safety of the forest, abandoning its mission... Death. 

She knew he'd be back for Athena. 

 Kate shot over to her horse, light reflecting off her glossy, tense body and covered in nervous sweat. Kate clambered in and hugged her, relieved Death hadn't seized her... Yet.
"Ssshhhh, Ssshhhh, there there girl, you're alright now. Sssshhhhhh." Athena  settled, relaxing her muscles and inhaling deeper breaths, knowing she was in the comfort of her owner.
Kate's face grew red with anger. She gave Athena a quick kiss before jogging for the house,                "I'll make sure that beast doesn't come back for you again. I swear."