Part 2

Faveenia held the wooden ball in her hand, its surface had been sanded smooth and a lacquer applied, making the dark wood shine. It was slightly larger than her hand, but her long fingers had no trouble in gripping it tightly as she lined up her body for the shot. She stared down the pitch, her eyes focused on the jack ball, small and white. Her sisters last shot left the lane wide open for her, and she sensed her imminent win. Faveenia took up her thick skirting in her left hand, freeing up her feet for the throw. Her right arm swung back and forwards in a smooth motion, releasing the wooden ball at the perfect time. She stood straight, her face bright and eyes shining as she watched her ball roll unerringly towards the jack. There was a faint ‘clack’ as the wooden ball connected and stopped, right in front of the jack. Flushed with the success, Faveenia turned to her sister Petrea.

            “That’s game, dear sister.” Faveenia bowed low, hiding the smile that unintentionally spread across her face. Petrea would be even more cross if she caught Faveenia in any sort of gloat from the win.

            “Congratulations. Well won.” Petra replied with cold formality. For the last round she had withdrawn from the game, her face and posture telling the story that she thought herself to good for silly games. She rarely won at bowls, and her intensity often waned as soon as she began to lapse behind her older sister. The soft genteel clapping of the ladies in waiting died out after the win, leaving the two sisters with an awkward silence between them.

            “Perhaps a new game, one of your choosing?” Faveenia offered, careful that her tone was as neutral as possible. Any hint or misinterpretation of words or tone could send Petrea into a tirade after she lost a game.

            “I grow tired of games; perhaps we can retreat to the comforts of the garden and enjoy some music.” Petrea offered. Faveenia nodded, somewhat surprised; expecting Petrea to challenge her to a game of chance. Petrea loved dice, and any game with more chance and luck required than skill. The ladies began to walk towards the garden, their hands holding their skirts up from the ground as they walked. The gardens in Evindale Castle were magnificent, grown and tended especially for Petrea.

            Evindale Castle was at the heart of the city bearing the same name, deep within the Ralquar forest. Evindale, like the other cities in Ralquar, was built within the forest; homes used the branches of massive trees to support them, the floor of the homes off the ground. Wooden rope bridges crisscrossed the tops of trees like giant strands of a spider’s web. On the floor of the forest other homes sat, or hollowed out trunks of trees operated as homes as well. The city was almost completely camouflaged in the forest, the dwellings nearly invisible because of the use of nature. Only by looking skyward it became apparent just how many people lived in the city, the tops of the trees full of Dashar people. Evindale Castle also appeared out of place amidst the tree-dwellings. Made of thick granite stones, the castle towered above the tops of all the trees in the forest, its crenellated embattlements above the tree line a beacon of civilization in the wild and untamed woods of Ralquar.

            The castle grounds had numerous trees around it, but Faveenia and Petrea’s father had specifically cleared a spot of all natural growth for the garden to occupy. The garden was full of a variety of plant life, requiring ten full time gardeners to tend the exotic plants. Petrea, when not busy in court, spent most of her time in the garden. A servant had run a head of the ladies and when they arrived at the opulent garden a table had already been prepared. The table had tea and cakes, wine and bread and a large dish of different cheeses for the ladies to feast upon. Petrea sat at the head of the table, a delicate fan appearing in her hand as she rhythmically fanned her face. Faveenia sat near to the wine, a servant filling a silver goblet as soon as she was settled in the seat.