Chapter Two - Meeting

A rough growl interrupted his thoughts, saying “Nice army attitude, squid.” Whisker looked over. And looked up. And up again. Standing before him was the tallest cat he’d ever seen, baring a full brown and black speckled underbelly to him. “Maybe you’ll get put in the morale unit, eh?”

            Whisker smiled and replied, “Probably not, but you never know, right?” He wasn’t going to let a bully ruin his day. It had just started, after all.

            “Ooh, so serious.” The bully laughed and flicked out his paw, catching Whisker on the chin lightly. “If you’re here, you gotta watch everywhere and try hard. So tom up, cat. What’s your name?”

            “I’m Whisker. What’s your name?”

            “My name’s Snaggle, but you can just call me Snag. See you around, Whisker.” Giving him a short nod and an incomprehensible growl, the cat crouched back down on all fours and trotted off towards the main building, fur shining in the morning sun.

            Whisker stood there for several seconds before crouching down as well, not sure if he’d made a friend or an enemy. Perhaps it would be both. But before he could think about it, another voice broke in from behind him. This was one lively camp, he reflected as he turned around.

            “Dang, man, you’re one heck of a tough guy for someone scrawny!” laughed a tenor voice. Its owner, a pure black cat, trotted up the hill towards him. “Staring down a big cat like that, huh? Heck, I would’ve just run.”

            The cat next to him, also black, whacked him on the arm. “What, you think we’re just going to let bullies like that scare us now? We’re in the army, Bob. You gotta tom up, like he said!”

            “Even a girl like you?” Bob replied, his tail waving in amusement.

            “Yeah, even a girl like me!” the cat then turned to Whisker, flourishing her paws towards her and her companion in turn. “Sorry, my name’s Kasha. This is my idiot twin brother Bob.” Bob shot her a sidelong look which she didn’t catch. Fortunately for him, Whisker thought.

            “Uhm. Hi! I’m Whisker.” He wasn’t sure what else to say, the two having already said everything available.

            Kasha saved him. “We should probably get to the main building, right? It’s almost time for the speech to start.”

            “Yeah, I suppose.” Bob replied grudgingly. “Come on, Whisker, I’ll race you to the building!” He sprinted off to the door, tail waving in the breeze.

            Whisker watched him in amazement. “Dang, Kasha, your brother’s one fast cat.”

            “Well, then stop worrying about that and get running, already, stupid!” Kasha took off after him, tearing down the hill. Whisker rolled his eyes and sprinted after her, catching up and overtaking her near the door.

            Despite his advantage, Bob was only a few feet ahead by the time the three reached the building, breathing hard.

            He caught his wind first, looking around at the camp. "Huh…,” he muttered, pausing, “Everything's so gray. Do you think they chose gray just because it's so boring?"

            Kasha poked him. "No, no, gray is supposed to be relaxing, you cynical brother. It's been proven by many scientists."

            "So, they chose a color that bores you to the point where you can't think. I suppose that is a form of relaxation, huh?"