Twist in the Tale

Six

'Azzy! Look I'm a pirate! Harrr harr harr!'

Azarette dropped her skipping rope, a grin stretching across her face, exposing a missing front tooth. Raj stood on the lawn, a bandana around his head and a glass shifted to look like a telescope.

'I'm the Cap'n! And you are my Princess!'

'Printhess?' She scrunched her nose. 'Noo. I wana be the Coasth Guard!'

'Wait...Cap'n needs his rum!' He sipped on his chocolate milkshake and licked his lips...

╔═════════ ೋღ♥ღೋ ═════════╗

The air whispered vapid rustles. Citrus orange sunlight sliced through the morning.

Azarette lay awake, ruminating life... what was left of it. Memories, powerful memories charged electric, through her mind. Raj.

She looked up at her stranger, Zack, whose eyes had finally succumbed to the realms of his sleep.

Then she snapped fully awake, realizing that a thick silence swathed the aura of the morning. In the faded distance, an ominous drone sounded. Approaching....

Something was wrong.

She crawled across the littered floor, rising to her feet and tip-toeing across to the door. A glance outside sent a wave of panic deep in the pit of her stomach, she shrieked in rush of adreneline.

Zack got up instantly, as if someone had activated him. He was next to her in a flare of movement, pulling her around. 'What's wrong?' The tone was strong, secure.

He followed her gaze, and then turned his eyes back to her, 'Welcome to my world...' he sighed, drawing out a pistol.

Police vans. Four heavy-weight cops. Stalking straight towards the cabin.

He closed his eyes for a brief second. And she watched the emotions ripple across his face.

He pulled on his shirt, retrieved his keys, and lifted the entire sofa off the ground as if it were childsplay. 'My ride is at the back,' he stated, stepping back for momentum.

'Aren't you going to wake them?' She pointed to the knocked-out Jik and Rollo.

Zack looked at her, then upturned their mattresses, casting them against the bare ground. 'What th –'

'You've been sniffed out,' Zack said bluntly.

And the next moment, the solid leather sofa made powerful contact with the fragile wood, the logs broke away, collapsing the side foundation of the cabin.

'Put your hands up this is the police! We order you to surrender or we will not hesitate to open fire!'

'Next time,' he chuckled, taking her hand. 'Let's go'

╔═════════ ೋღ♥ღೋ ═════════╗

They belted across the compact maze of Gumtrees, flanked by the hungover pair of madmen.

'I've got your back,' he promised her, as she ran breathlessly along his side.

Then suddenly she collapsed, completely out of breath, tripping over a rock and gashing her knees. She felt her heart stop beating.

'HALT!' The police tore through the back of the cabin, clicking their guns into place, making towards them.

'Just go!' She gasped, pushing his hand away when he tried to lift her. 'Go! I'm innocent they'll set me –'

Zack glared at her, 'Do I look like an idiot to you?'

He lifted her up in his arms, decidedly, 'Jik take her back to my place.'

Jik grinned, 'With pleasure Hunter...'

'Keep her there. I'll be back.'

Azarette stared at him in horror as he stood his ground, turning to face the men that were marching across towards him. They were leaving him behind.

'Wai –'

'Relax honey-pie, he'll break out. This isn't the first time.' They loaded onto the bike and Jik started the engine, rolling off. Azarette swivelled back to see them clamp cuffs around Zack's wrists...