Looking For The One. ; Chapter One.

Here’s to the first chapter of this story, I hope you enjoy it, my loves.

        We left Monsieur Gilles with the carriage and walked into the bustling town centre. My ears were filled with a cacophony of conversations and laughter, while my nose was filled with the smells of foods of all sorts and the smells of the people that crossed my path. Madame Victorie and I walked around the entire centre, searching. We were searching for something special that day, something wonderful. Two hours dragged by and we hadn’t found anything. My patience was running thin. It must’ve been our umpteenth time looking around the centre but we were yet to find “the one”. Every time Madame Victorie spotted a potential one, I would look at him or her and shake my head. My heart would tell me when we’d find the right one.

        We continued to walk around in circles, stopping at different carts to look at the new things on sale. We stopped at a small café, had some tea and scones, and carried on our way. We stopped at a baker and bought specialty crumpets and biscuits ‒ in case we did find “the one”. Another hour passed by and both Madame Victorie and I were fed up. As we were about to return to Monsieur Gilles, I spotted one.

        He was the perfect one; I was absolutely sure of it. The way he eyed every female that walked passed him. He looked like he was ready to strip them of their dignity in front of everyone. He shamelessly squeezed some of the women’s bottoms and often made loud, lewd remarks to the ones he couldn’t reach. He was an utter and complete wretch. He was perfect. I turned to Madame Victorie and pointed at him.

        “I want him,” I whispered in her ear, glaring at the man. Her eyes lit up as she watched him.

        “Oh he’s perfect, Lady Louise!” she gushed, nodding her head vigorously. “Look at the way he stalks with his eyes. I can feel his uncultured nature from over here! Oh yes, yes. He needs to be taken care of immediately, Lady Louise!”

        I hushed her quickly and looked around, ensuring that no one had heard her. Madame Victorie had trouble with keeping her voice down when she was excited but she knew the rules: If she were to use my first name in public, she was to do so in a hushed manner. I couldn’t blame her for being so excited, though. I knew the feeling and I too felt it in that moment. Finding someone as perfect as this man was a rare occurrence. It was to be treasured. Cherished.

        “Should we ask him now, Lady Louise, or should we wait?” Madame Victorie asked. “Should we wait for Monsieur Gilles to check him out? Oh Lady Louise, I don’t want to wait!”

        “Nor do I, my love,” I held her arm comfortingly. “Let us do it now. Get him alone, please. You know the routine.”

        Excitement and anticipation were dripping off of my spoken words. I was anxious, too. It had been far too long, oh yes. I couldn’t wait to get him back to the manor. I wanted to devour him right then and there.

        “Hurry now,” I rushed her. “I’m far too impatient today. Hurry please, now my love.”

        Minutes trickled by ever so slowly as I waited for Madame Victorie to return. I sat by a water fountain, waiting patiently. I tried to focus on the dancing water, hoping that it would alleviate my growing impatience and discomfort. My parasol kept me out of the blinding sunlight, but my heavy dress and tightly wound corset were not doing me much good in the heat ‒ never mind the long gloves that I had to wear. Although this new look brought about discomfort, it did make the women look much more elegant and beautiful.

        I took a mental picture of the splendour of the square in that moment. Men and women, donned in their best outfits, were strolling through the square. Children were frolicking about, laughing and cheering like they had no worries. It was a magnificent sight ‒ all these new styles. The warm feeling of love and joviality embraced my body and went straight to my bones. I wanted to capture the moment and depict it on a canvas; carving it to my desire.

        Finally, Madame Victorie appeared out of the bustling square. She was bouncing up and down, like a child. Eventually, she regained her composure and she told me that the automobile was waiting ‒ with him inside. My heart beat quickened as a smile grew on my face. I was looking forward to having fun again.

        I smiled at Madame Victorie, delightful. Carefully, I rose from my seat and left for the awaiting carriage. Madame Victorie was clinging on to my arm. We walked with a bounce in our steps, charmed by the thought of the events that were to take place in the very near future.

               We found the perfect one.

Take up the White Man’s Burden-

Send  forth the best ye  breed-

Go  bind your sons to  exile

To  serve your captives’  need.

To  wait in the heavy  harness, 

On  fluttered fold and wild-

Your  new-caught, sullen peoples

Half-devil  and half-child.

; A wonderful poem by Rudyard Kipling (1899) .