Chapter Two

Finally! Lunch time!

            I get to see my BFF Eliza Lopez. I’ve been friends with her ever since Cassidy and her clones pushed me to the ground in middle school. Eliza bad mouthed at them and she and Cassidy went at it like crazy. I have a lot to thank to her for that moment…of my weakness.

            She has got the spunk and guts to bad mouth a girl any time. She freaking rocks! I do admire her.

            “Hey J!” said Eliza as she sat next to me at the zero’s table. We are the only two people who sit at this table because we don’t seem to fit into the other groups at all of the other tables.

            “Hey Lizzy. How are you?” I said taking a bite of my homemade PB&J sandwich (the only thing that I can make that is edible).

           “I’m good. I think that it sucks that we don’t have the first three classes together like last semester. I had to sit next to Rick Terns and his bad breath." I laughed at this. Eliza always hated Rick ever since I’ve known her. She hates guys that their breath is so bad that you can smell it from 6 feet away—likes Rick’s.

            I was about to tell her something when I noticed that she totally froze and looked up in surprise. When I followed her gaze, I noticed that there was Tom with a tray of food and smiling.

            “May I sit with you ladies?”

           Eliza looked at him suspiciously and said, “Fine. But, one crack at one of us, and J will kick your ass.”

           He looked at me and said, “I can’t wait.”

           I sighed and said, “Whatever. Just sit.” He laughed before he took a seat across from Eliza and I. Great.

            I noticed that Tom was still wearing his sunglasses. I looked at him and said, “What’s up with the sunglasses.”

            Tom was eating his grapes and flung them in his mouth as he said, “Well—it’s—kind of—a—surprise.”

            I raised my eyebrows and asked, “For who? Swooning girls?”

           He laughed again and said, “Jules, the surprise is for you.”

           Eliza laughed and said, “You’re serious?”

           Tom looked towards Eliza’s direction and said, “Oh yes. Jules and I have met before. Isn’t that right Jules?”

            I choked on my sandwich before I said, “What?”

            He laughed and said, “Come on Jules. Don’t play dumb. You will remember me. Once you get a good look at me.” I panicked. Was Tom a juvenile delinquent that I arrested.

            To test my theory I choked him and whispered to him, “Cell number. Now!” Not only was he smiling but everyone else in the cafeteria was silent all of a sudden.

            Tom only said one word that caught me off guard. “Hospital.”

            I released him and walked out of the cafeteria, sandwich in hand. I heard Eliza’s footsteps followed me out to the football field. I didn’t stop walking until I reached the bleachers. I sat down, and put my head in my hands and said, “Impossible.”

            Eliza put her hand on my shoulder and said, “What’s impossible?”

            I looked up at her and said, “I need to tell you a story” (the abridged story of course).