Tales of a Fox: An X Men fan fiction

Hi there:) 

So Tales of a Fox, or of Mercy Fox, is really just a string of ideas floating around in my head that i wanted to put to paper. or to Wattpad. Anyway...So this story is based on the X Men Series, but i have more or less just used the character ideas and not the plot. But PLEASE, keep reading. If you havent heard of X Men, dont worry, all is explained!!You really dont need to know anything about the movies or comics to follow this, just the desire for a nice reading...

I hope you like it...id love to hear your thoughts:) thanks again, fishforscatterclouds x

***

COM·PAS·SION "kəmˈpaSHən" LATIN WORD
Noun: Sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
What is compassion? For Mercy Fox, this was never a trait she developed, but an ability she was born with. In a world just discovering the existence of certain 'Mutants', Fox discovers just what compassion is, and just how powerful it can be.

***

Fox’s shoes made slapping sounds as they hit the empty alley’s pavement. Her body filled up with adrenalin, and then came the acute awareness of everything around her. The air smelt like smoke and dust, and as she neared the end of the alley, the screams became louder. Police, fire truck and ambulance sirens all smashing together to make a symphony of ugly screeches, and under these noises remains a never ending rumble. And like that, the small moonlight coming through the overcast clouds disappeared, throwing the alley into darkness.

Reaching the end of the alley, Fox’s knees quivered as she came to a halt, and somehow, her senses became even more hyped. But she could hardly move with the scene that erupted before her.

Windows burst outwards from the heat, and the burning building stood amongst chaos on Fifth Avenue. The building, now unrecognisable, vomited heavy smoke from every outlet, and appeared so unstable that Fox was sure the thunder of the jets flying overhead would finally bring it to its knees. At the base of the burning giant were barricades set up by police to hold back the public, but even those behind it were not attempting tame the wild fire. Ambulances remained idle, for they had no part to play here. Those inside the building were probably already dead.

Citizens were beyond panic, like animals in a stampede, and it nearly killed Fox to make it through the crowd to the barricade. But then the inevitable happened. Fox’s head imploded, as the weight of everything around her pushed on her insides, making them fold in on themselves. She felt anything and everything, heightened, amplified ten times over. She felt shock and she felt fear. She experienced panic like nothing she had felt before. Fox collapsed, but was far from falling unconsciousness. A pair of hands caught her, tugging her upright again. But Fox wished they never touched her. Fear, desperation and rage swelled through her, as if the person was pumping the very emotions through their hands into her skin. She snatched her hands away and focused her bleary eyes on them. The man was young, with blondish hair and pale-like skin, but it wasn’t his features that made him stand out from all the others around him. From him, and only him, Fox experienced something she had never felt before. But before she could decipher this emotion, the man mouthed something, a name, and was gone.

Leaping over the barrier, he ran like a man with nothing left to lose, howling that name, over and over again. He ran across the empty area towards the burning building, which was barely holding its weight, its insides still leaking out. He was a lunatic, crying the name; a woman’s name.

Not one person had noticed the man that managed to penetrate the barricade, and there and then Fox was still overwhelmed by the man’s unnatural emotions still inside her. He needed help, or the man was sure to kill himself. And as if it was her duty, as if any other choice was irrational, she jumped the barrier and ran after him.

Instantly, the heat of the fire smacked her like a merciless hand, but this did not slow her. Even though she was faster, the man had already reached the broad stairs leading to the building, struggling against the heat. But Fox caught up, skipping two steps at a time, and tackled him to the ground. The landing shocked him, but didn’t put out his desire to reach the red-hot entrance. He struggled to release himself of Fox’s grasp, but her hands around his body pulled back, restraining him. He thrashed around in desperation, but finally turned around to see Fox.

‘Stop! My friend, please, stop and think!’ But Fox’s attempts of persuasion were failing her.

‘Maeve! No, no, NO! Get off me, I can save her!’ But Fox’s hold didn’t weaken. ‘I can help her! If only you’d let me help my...’

What came next was indescribable. Something erupted from the man’s mouth, different from all the other times he had called his lover’s name. It was an invisible force that split her head open and pained her ears, like a jet’s sound waves escaping from the man’s lips. But this only made Fox grip him tighter. Through slitted eyes she caught a glimpse of the man’s pained face as he continued ‘screaming’ towards the building, only to see that, unlike the man, the building had finally chosen to give up.

A loud crack and snap, followed by a near-earthquake rumble was made from inside the building. And then it fell: First stone by stone by stone, but then as a whole, the building collapsed.

The man bayed and struggled, but it was unlike before. Small pieces of rubble fell, injuring both him and Fox, but they lived. He squirmed half-heartedly, his emotions changing and the rage was replaced by something else. Fox trapped the man’s face in hands, willing him to look at her. But as she made contact with his skin, she felt one final emotion.

Defeat.