Chapter 13

They were in their rental car, making their way across the bridge that led to the cabin

"There's something going on in that cabin," Jenny fumed. "We would've gotten the scoop if we hadn't stumbled across that woman and her creepy friend. I saw him at the grocery store we stopped at earlier. He must've followed us there. Why would he want to follow up? I mean, who does that?"

"We do," Cletus reminded her, with a sly grin.

"We're reporters so it's different. It's not weird when we follow people. I bet he followed us because he had a crush on me. It was probably love at first sight."

Cletus rolled his eyes. "Really, Jenny? Do you think that kid saw you, fell in love and decided to warn the people staying in the cabin who we were? That's pushing it a bit far even for an egomaniac like you. What you're saying makes no sense. Besides, he seemed to be friends with that woman."

"That reminds me. Can you believe what that horrid woman said? Online rag? Just watch. I'll show her an online rag."

"Do you really think she's dating Alex Carter?" Cletus asked. "She doesn't seem to be his type."

"That doesn't matter. They're living together in a cabin he just purchased. Hasn't anyone ever told you we don't need the truth to sell stories?"

"What if she really is just an employee?" Cletus asked. "We shouldn't paint her as his newest girlfriend if she isn't. Alex Carter is in the public eye so it's expected we report on him but not his workers."

"If she's not his latest fling, it'll be a lesson to her to not work for rich handsome men the media is obsessed over."

"You mean that you're obsessed over," Cletus muttered.

"It's not just me, Cletus. Before you paint me as some sort of villain, don't forget there's always been a lot of mystery around Alex Carter. Sure, we know about all of his accomplishments but his personal life has been off-limits. Don't you find that odd?" Jenny asked.

Cletus shrugged. "Who wants their personal life exposed to the public? Are you sure you're not just using this story as an excuse to get close to him, Jenny?"

Her eyes widened. She and Cletus had worked together for years so he'd know if she was lying. Instead of answering she made a sound of annoyance.

"Jenny?

"Oh be quiet, Cletus!"

She continued to drive down the wooded path that led to the main street of town.