Mr. & Mrs. Young (lisamcmann)

I twisted my hair into a ponytail, tucking it under my cap and lowering the brim. Then I took a final look around the room full of strangers, wondering which of them would help me escape, and which would try to kill me. With only 15 minuets’ left until I’m on my own in this world I had no choice but to smile.

“Ms. Young … Your hat!” The middle aged woman said in a stern voice, all while giving me a death glare.

“Sorry.” I said plain and simple pretending as if I were really going to move it when in reality my hair was so frizzy under this hat it was no way that was going to happen.

“So. Chelsea--” A voice beside me said breaking me out of my thoughts.

“What?”               

“Did you do it yet?”

“I don’t think I know what you’re talking about.”

“I think you do. We only have less than fifteen minuets.”

“Yes! Okay, I did it. Happy?”

“No yet.” The boy said elbowing me in the shoulder as we both turned our attention back to the speaker.

“And that’s why I say … don’t forget who you met in the past … and get ready for who you meet … the speaker paused and took a deep breath … in your future. Thank you all.”

“What a snooze fest.” The boy said once again.

“You can say that again old man talk too much thinks we have all day. Good thing it’s only thirteen more minuet’s” The boy chuckled.

“Why have I never spoken to you?”

“We’ve had the same homeroom at school since 9th grade. But then again you always skipped homeroom so--”

“Okay, I get it. Well I’m Drake, Drake Young. And I know what you did.”

“Same last name. And who doesn’t know what I did.” I said as a matter of factly rolling my eyes after shaking Drake’s hand.

“Yeah, I guess I deserved that. But I think it’s bold. And I also think … He pulled my hat upright on my head … you would look much more beautiful without this hat pulled so far down on your face.”

“And who are you too--”

“Mr. & Mrs. Young, you have heard your final warning or you will be put out.”

“You can put us out of our--”

“Silence!” The middle aged woman said. Drake began to laugh.

“That lady is crazy. But back to what you did.”

“What about it?”

“I want in.”

“The deed is already done. And you sir, have had your last warning to touch my hat again.”

“Sorry, I just don’t like how you keep pulling it down like that.”

“Get over it. And what do you mean you want in?”

“It means fireworks aren’t cool without matches.” I rose one eye brow and turned my attention to the now woman speaker.

“Life is about taking chances, making changes and I know if you just put your mind to it you can do it.” The crowd began to laugh at the woman’s corniness. I sighed loudly and glanced at my watch, it had to have been stuck on Gary the snail time because we still only had eleven minutes left. I began to ponder how things would go after this and what Drake meant by he wants in on my plan by the way.

“Eleven minuets.” Drake said between coughs.

“Look Drake, buddy. I don’t know who you are, well I do but you know what I mean. But I don’t care that you want in on my plan so just … leave it at that.” I waved my hand in dismissal and Drake faked hurt which caused me to laugh.

“A smile. Ladies and Gentlemen we have a smile from Ms. Young.”

“That’s It. Mr. Young … Out!”

“But it’s--”

“Out!” Drake jumped up and frowned.

“Okay Fine, but I’ll be back you can’t keep me out of my own--” Before he could finish his sentence the woman closed the door lightly. I couldn’t help but laugh, the woman’s face was scrunched up right along with her wrinkled skirt.

“You find something funny Ms. Young?” I cleared my throat and pulled my hat back down.

“No … Ehh emm .. No Mam, not at all.”

“And fix your hat.” She said annoyed.

“Yes mam.” I placed my fist on my chin and watch the lady speak but I was so deep in thought I couldn’t hear a thing she was saying… I just hope my plan doesn’t blow up in my face. I looked down at my watch and sighed once again.

‘You’ve got to be kidding me. Eight more minutes. This has to be a joke; my watch has to be broken.’ I thought to myself. Falling back into thoughts.

*

“I said can you move your leg’s I have to sit back down. Hello?” Drake’s voice broke my thoughts as they did once before.

“Oh, sorry. I guess she let you back in huh.”

“Yeah, she couldn’t resist my smile.”

“What ever.”

“Guess what?”

“What?”

“Two more--”

“Yeah, I know.” I smiled hard, as did Drake.

“Oh and I got in on Your Plan too.”

“You What?”

“Too late.”

“And as you leave this place class of 2011 Just know you are now Adults-” Right as the speaker finished balloons began to fall from the ceiling everyone’s eyes widened.

“Hey, look at the screen.” Drake said pointing. I looked up to see a photo from the 9th grade of Drake and me.

“I actually do remember who you are Chelsea Young. Now, would you like me to walk you out the door fellow graduate?”

“Wow, I guess you did have your own plan after all. And of Course you can fellow graduate.”  Just as we began to walk off we heard a familiar voice say…

“Hold It Right There Mr. & Mrs. Young, you have a lot of explaining to do about this…..”