Chapter 5: ♨

I should have gone to Neverland. I should have never called the shadow in the first place. I shouldn't have trusted Peter Pan. I should have comforted my brothers that night, but I was in shock.
The hours went by remarkably slow. After some time I could finally get John and Michael to catch a bit of sleep, although they were really upset. I said to them that everything is going to be alright, but I hardly believed it myself.  They fell asleep instantly. I didn't sleep though. I just couldn't.

After hours of thinking about Baelfire it was time for breakfast. I didn't really have a plan about what to tell my parents.
"John! Michael!", I called my little brothers as they wanted to leave the room.
"You have to promise me something. Don't say anything about what happened last night to Mom and Dad, alright?"
"So what are we going to say?"
"You don't have to say anything. You know nothing. Just let me talk, okay?"
Both of them nodded.
"Thank you, boys", I said relieved.

"Where's Baelfire?", was the first thing Mom asked that morning. "Is he still asleep?" Great. I really hoped that the plan I've worked the last few minutes was a good one.
"He's not at home."
"What?", Dad asked sounding slightly angry already. Good job, Wendy. Now I felt eight pairs of eyes on me. Mom and Dad concerned about what happened to Baelfire and John and Michael curious about which lie I'm going to tell them.
"He's on a little journey with some friends."
"Without telling us?"
"It was really spontanious and he didn't want to wake you up. But he's perfectly save and is going to stay the night there", I lied.
"Well, I'm glad he finally found some friends", Mom said. "Where are they going?"
"I'm not sure to be honest. I think they are visiting an outer part of London. I was too tired this morning to actually listen to him."

"I didn't know you were such a good liar", John said to me when we were up in our bedroom again.
"Me neither", I admitted.
"They totally believed you", Michael admired.
"But I don't understand. Is Baelfire coming back tonight?", John asked.
"I'm afraid he's not", I said with tears in my eyes. I couldn't lie to them anymore. They were going to know the truth very soon anyway.
"So are we never going to see him again? What is the plan?"
"I'm going to call the shadow tonight and it is going to take me to Neverland."
My brothers' eyes widened with fear.
"Let us come with you!", Michael called out.
"I can't. It is too dangerous."
"But how do we know whether you'll be coming back?", John wanted to know.
"I guess the shadow will bring me back home as it always did. But if it doesn't, you need to promise me that you won't tell our parents what happened."
"But what are we going to tell them?", Michael asked crying.
"Tell them that we ran off. Baelfire and I. I will come home as soon as possible. With Baelfire. Come here!"
We all hugged and I was about to cry again. I loved my brothers so much and I won't let any harm get to them.

That night all three of us stood by the window. I was ready to go.
"Alright, you have to promise me one last thing", I looked at John and Michael closely.
"Never ever go with the shadow. Whatever happens you have to swear that you won't come to Neverland."
"We swear", both of them said. I smiled bravely and gave them one last hug.
"Good luck, Wendy", John sad sadly.
"Thank you. And remember: we are a family. We'll always find a way to get together sooner or later. I'll see you in the morning hopefully."
Then I turned around to face the window. "Keep distance to the shadow", I warned them.
After I heard them take a few steps back I whispered: "I believe."

"Wendy!", I said a surprised voice say. I turned around to be engulfed in a hug by Peter. When I didn't hug him back he took a step away from me and asked: "What's wrong?"
"What's wrong? Seriously Peter?" That was the first time I realized how angry I was.
"First you say you don't want me here. Then you take Baelfire away from me."
"Baelfire?"
"Yes, Baelfire. Where is he?"
" Is he your brother?"
"No, but something similar."
"So he's on the Island?"
"Yes, I thought you would know that."
"I can't control what the shadow is doing and who it is taking, but I haven't met a Baelfire."
"You haven't?"
"No, but if you're sure that he's here..."
"Very sure!"
"... I'm going to help you finding him."
"Really?"
"'Cause."
"Thank you so much!", I said and this time I was the one who hugged him.
We started to walk from the woods to his and the Lost Boys camp.
"So you're brothers, John and Michael, right? How old are they?"
"Twelve and eight, why?"
"I was just interested. Are you close?"
"Yes, we're very close. We'd do anything for each other"; I said wondering about his sudden interest in John and Michael.
"That's nice", he just said.

As we arrived at the camp I was greeted by an angry looking Felix, but he didn't say a word to me and I was quite glad about that. Peter whispered something to him as we walked by.
"It's getting dark outside", he said to me. "Sit down", he pointed at a wooden bench and I sat down and so did he. The Lost Boys lit a huge bonfire and sat down in front of it leaving us some space.
"Is it true?", I asked Peter.
"What?"
"That you didn't want me here?"
He looked to the ground thinking about it for a moment.
"Well, it kinda was, because I thought that this isn't the right place for you to be here. But I'm quite happy to see you again actually."
He looked at me with his intense green eyes and a warm feeling started to spread inside my stomach.
Then I remembered something else.
"Felix said something about a boy with the heart of the truest believer. He said you were searching for him."
"Did he? It's nothing you have to worry about. It doesn't matter anymore.
"Oh, okay." I started to yawn. I haven't realized how tired I was, because I haven't slept in two days.
"Come", Peter said standing up. He took my hand and led me to a small wooden hut. In there wasn't much. A little wooden cupboard and a wooden bed as well with a table and some stools. It all looked as if it was selfmade.
"You can sleep here. That's my hut."
"Thank you. But where are you going to sleep?
"Don't worry about that. And don't worry about your friend. I'll look for him, I promise."
I smiled sleepily while I looked up at him. Suddenly I realised how close we were.
He's going to kiss me. He is going to kiss me!
And so he did. He softly pressed his lips onto mine and I felt this warmth in my stomach again which I have felt before a couple of times when I was with him. The kiss was over as quickly as it began and without any further word Peter left the hut. I watched him walk away for some seconds.
He looked as if he was angry at himself.