Chapter 23 ~ What If

I looked into the dark space of the room lined with stones all around it, it radiated cold and terror. My heart raced and unfortunately for me, I couldn’t put on a strong façade because of the vampire’s ability to hear my hearts every beat. I worried about where Edward was and what Aro was talking to him about or what Jane was doing to him. I felt helpless and weak. I couldn’t protect him, I thought as tears traced down my cheeks, dropping onto my crossed legs. The cold stone of the wall gave me shivers and I couldn’t stop the feeling of dread as I watched the little amount of light that leaked in through under the crack of the door fade, signaling the dark of the night.

My shaking became more pronounced now as I waited to hear anything as indication of life outside these walls, but there was only nothing, for vampires did make a sound. Instead I retreated deep into my mind, allowing myself to recall all that had happened up until now.

Victoria was gone, dead and she couldn’t hurt us anymore. But Laurent…he and Irina were missing. I wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing yet, but I definitely didn’t have a good feeling about either of them, mainly Laurent though, as I didn’t know Irina all that well.

I sighed as I recalled the wonderfully, blissful moments between Edward and I at his house only evenings ago when he asked me to marry him. I touched the ring that was placed on my finger, an oval diamond encrusted surface with a delicate gold band. More tears swept down my cheeks. Why did Tanya have to go to the Volturi? I didn’t understand, I mean I got that she hated my guts for taking Edward away from her, not that he ever gave himself to her, but why didn’t she play the good guy, get me alone and kill me then? Wouldn’t that have been a better plan than risking two families to the wrath of the Volturi? Obviously, she wasn’t very bright…

I wonder what the Cullen’s were doing. Where are they? Still in the castle? No, they couldn’t be. It wouldn’t be dark enough for them to leave, forcefully of course, as they would never leave Edward or me alone here. Were they waiting outside the wall? Had Eleazar, Carmen and Kate shown up? Would the Cullen’s and them fight? I really hope not.

What are the Volturi doing? Why won’t they let us go? So much for keeping my mind distracted, though it isn’t exactly easy. Ever since I met Edward it’s been a rollercoaster, not that I’m complaining, but it would be nice to have a break for once.

I needed to be with Edward, I can’t take this anymore.

You think? You’re scared to death without him, heck you’re scared while he’s with you just of the fact that he would be so outnumbered; killed even if he had to fight for both of us.

Great, now I’m back to talking with my inner self.

Before I knew what I was doing, I found myself off the bed and tracing the walls with my hands as to find the door. I sighed in relief when my hands touched the thick, rough wood, beginning to bang loudly so that I could get my guards attention. Determination filled me when no one answered, so I tried to open the door, but of course, it was locked, so I continued banging.

“What?” Felix growled as he shoved the door open so hard I was sure he broke it.

I stared up at what I could see of him: his glowing crimson eyes and was frozen for a moment before answering him.

“I want to go to Edward.” I stated, trying my hardest to sound tough.

A sly grin caught his face as he narrowed his eyes at me, “Do you now?” Felix taunted, cocking his head to one side and becoming amused as he stared me down. I held my ground, refusing to look away from him and show just how scared I was, especially not being able to see.

Afraid that a verbal answer would put me to tears again, I nodded, waiting patiently for him to decide.

Felix chuckled to himself but didn’t seem to have a problem with me wanting to go wherever Edward was. He seemed pleased and all too excited. My stomach rolled as he reached out too quickly for me to react and grip the nape of my neck, wrapping his claw-like hands around to gain control over me. His other hand gripped the top of my left arm as he pulled me out of the dark room and into the just as dark hallway.