Deception and Manipulation vs Straightforward Force of Personality

If we compare Cassian with Ly, it is quite obvious that the way they think and act is completely different. Cassian is what we call a manipulative bastard. He is sly and cunning. He meticulously plans his moves and is very cautious in his steps. Ly might be the one presented as cold but it is Cassian who is cold and pragmatic '' we were friends, but some things are worth more than just friendship''. Cassian is a skillful liar who values nothing more than his personal gain. He doesn't think twice before killing Tristan in cold blood while Ly values his brother's memory and honour and also Rome's love. He can be quite reckless and passionate. He experiences intense emotions although he projects a cold exterior self. He is straightforward and honest in his approach '' True, he had never believed in Tristan's dreams of equality either, but at least he had never lied about it''. Cassian tried to manipulate Ly so as to join him in his cause by playing Ly's past against him and although Ly is tempted to do so his internal morality prevails in the end '' But was it worth if Tristan wasn't alive? Could he ever cooperate with the man who had meticulously planned and carried out his brother's cold blooded murder?  Did he still want to suppress humans after having met Rome? What would happen to her if he went along with this? He would probably be able to protect her, but what about her family. She would hate him if he let anything happen to them. She would hate him if he went along with this insane plan''. Cassian even lies when he claims that he wishes the liberation of the vampire race. Nobody can  achieve liberation through violence and slavery because he who keeps slaves  transforms into a slave himself. Cassian is possessed by power-lust and he only cares about his political aspirations. Ly, on the other hand, remains loyal to himself because he is willing to sacrifice himself to save the woman he holds dear '' She was the only thing left in his world that truly mattered, but did he love her enough to let his brother's murderer go? Ly shook his head as he sank to the floor. Of course he already knew the answer  to that question . ''Let her go Cassian, '' he said. '' I'll do what you want, just leave her alone''.