Chapter three Out

I was still lying there when someone knocked on my door. “It’s open” I call sitting up. It was James. Mike and the others stood behind him. They walked in to the room.

“We were wondering if you wanted to go out.” James said “see the town” I smiled at him.

“I should unpack.” I told them. Seeing James face fall slightly I quickly told them “well I guess I could do that tonight.” James face broke in to a smile. He held his hand out to me. I took it and he pulled me to my feet.

 Leaving the house mike called in to the kitchen, “Mom we’re going out.”

“Is Mary going with you?” She asked.

“Yeah she is.” He called back.

“Remember to be home for supper.” She told us in reply.

The boys led the way out side. Once we were out side they spread out taking up the whole street. “Where are we going?” I asked, looking up at James, who was once again next to me.

“We are going to follow this road and see where it leads.” He told me, mysteriously.

“That’s not fair you already know where it leads.”

“True but it is funner this way.”

“Funner ain’t a word.”

“Neither is ain’t.”

“Yes it is.”

“No it’s not.”

“Yes it is. Ain’t is a contraction of ‘am not’, ‘is not’, ‘are not’, ‘have not’ or ‘has not’.”

“It isn’t proper English.”

“It’s in the dictionary.”

“How do you know so much about one word?”

“I fought my English teacher on this last year and won.”

“You are so weird.”

“Thank you.” I looked up to him as I said this, smiling. It was the first time I smiled a real smile since that night. It made me feel guilty, like I was happy way to soon. I looked at the ground and fought off the tears that threatened, rubbing at them with my hand.

“Mary, what’s wrong?” James asked me gently putting his hand on my arm. Only when I was sure that no tears had fallen did I look up at and say, “Just something in my eye.”

“Let me see.” He tilted my face up. “Which eye?”

“Left.” I muttered. Gently he held my eye open.

“Look up.” He told me. Then, “look down,” “look right” a chuckle “no your other right.” I blushed as I complied. “Ok now look down.” “There’s nothing there.” He told me.

“Oh hmm I thought there was.” I mumble, missing the warmth of his hands on my face. What wrong with you? I asked my self, you just met him and you’re putty in his hands.

“What are you two doing back there?” Mike called out.

With out missing a beat I turned and shouted, “Planning to kill you in your sleep.”

James laughed. “You weren’t supposed to tell him.”

“Oops I guess I’ll never make it as a murderer. There goes that career dream.” I pouted.

“Cheer up. At least now you don’t have to worry about being arrested and we won’t have to break you out.” Mike said.

“I am shocked that you would think I would get caught.” I told him. “I may not be able to kill you with out telling you about it but I can hide from the cops.”